Happy 8498…I mean 2013!

  • The Facts:
  • Pattern:  Simplicity 8498
  • Fabric:  quilting type cotton from 1993
  • Year:  1969
  • Notions:  huge separating zipper, hem facing tape
  • Time to complete:  I’m going to make up a number and say 5 hours because I didn’t keep track.
  • Make again:  Yes, in a better quality fabric
  • Total cost:  ?????? I bought the fabric and crazy zipper back in the ’90s, so it could be anywhere between $5-$20.  The pattern was 69 cents from Village des Valeurs

I’m going to slap this post together quickly because I’m not sure if it will get published to The Sew Weekly or not, but if it does, Happy New Year to everyone!

This dress was part of an extremely casual sew along between Tanit-Isis, Nettie and I. We discovered that we had all gotten the same pattern around the same time, and we were wondering how the same pattern would look on three different bodies, in three different fabrics.  Take a look here and here for their  beauties.

Of course I was the last to finish, and after seeing T’s gorgeous full length gold gown and N’s perfectly fitted wool jumper, I was all the more squeamish to show off this quilting cotton quickie.  Well, to be honest, it wasn’t a quickie because as it turned out, THE PATTERN WAS MISSING THE INSTRUCTIONS!  I’m sure I saw them at one point, but a thorough clean up of my sewing area didn’t turn up the missing sheet, so I may have imagined it.

It was pretty easy to put together even without the instructions, although I did go through my usual littany of alterations:  add 4cm to middle back, lower the bust darts 1.5cm,add 5cm for the hips, shorten hem by 10cm.  All that added up to a pretty good fit, except that I forgot to raise the armscye, which resulted in this:

(please excuse the bathroom mirror photo. I’d been sledding all afternoon in -10C weather, so I was in no shape to make much effort)

Off came the sleeve and out came the bias binding, and a sleeveless shift was born.  I’ve been making more than my fair share of this shape in 2012, so my aim for 2013 is to branch out a little and try some new silhouettes.

I am pretty happy with the placement of those unusual bust darts / underbust seaming combo.

I even like my weirdo huge exposed separating zipper – it was the only red zip I had in my stash and I thought what the hell.

You may be able to see where I had fisheye darts in the back that I picked out.  I didn’t like the placement, but now that I see photos of my rear, I can see that I need some kind of shaping back there.  To be addressed very soon.

And a post wouldn’t be complete without my usual outtakes.

 

 

 

 

 

Author

Vicki

Vicki used to sew when she was young and free, but then raising young'uns and bringing home (some of) the bacon took up all her time. Now her closet is full of skinny clothes, maternity clothes and post-partum clothes, none of which fit properly. Maybe that's why she started sewing again in 2010.

3 Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your projects with us this year!

  2. That’s the spirit! Let loose and dance. Your dress is the perfect holiday outfit. I like it without the sleeves more than with. It’s been a fun sewing year together with all of you. Thank you for all of your kind comments, interesting posts, and uniquely sewn outfits. Happy New Year!

  3. Happy new Year Vicki, love red on you and these style of dresses. It’s been one fantastic year of sewing and I’ve enjoyed your smart, fun posts particularly your outtakes it’s been a blast. I’ll definitely be popping into Another Sewing Scientists to catch up on all things Vicki. All the best for 2013.

Leave a Reply