The “Epic of Epic Epicness WIP” Coat


The Facts
Fabric: Green stretch wool from Mood $50 for two and a half yards, lining from stash
Pattern: Simplicity 6933
Year: 1966
Notions: 4 covered buttons from stash
Time to complete: 7 hours of work on the muslin, at least 15 hours on the coat so far
First worn: Just for fitting right now
Wear again? I should hope so!
Total price: ~$50

I hope you will all forgive me for showing a work in progress. I couldn’t just do something else when the opportunity was so perfect. Once this is finished, this coat needs a parade in my oh-so humble opinion. It’s been two years in the making!! I finally found this wool at Mood back in May and have been waiting patiently for the big reveal! Also, it’s been a bit of a weird/surreal week for other reasons, and trying to finish this up on the weekend was sort of hellish. I was staying up way too late and eventually I just realized it wasn’t going to happen before my picture taking deadline on Sunday afternoon.

Husband was making Project Runway jokes – that I was going to be disqualified and sent home! After this year of sewing I can better appreciate the super fast paced timeline that show works on.

So no, it’s not done. It still needs the full lining, buttons and hems. Plus I may redo some darts that are looking a bit dimply.

Since this was such a special garment, I started out with a muslin. And thank goodness because the sleeves were of course way too low – like, six inches too low – and way too wide! What is it with vintage patterns and super low arm scythes? Anyway, It took a few hours of staring at the pieces, adding scraps, and pinching here and there before I felt ok with cutting into the real fabric.

The facing fabric is some Tufted Tweets by Laurie Wisbrun that I’ve held on to for about a year. I absolutely love it with this. The green of the wool is proving difficult to photograph correctly. It’s more Christmas/emerald green in real life but turns out more blue on camera. My photoshop skills are only intermediate so the bit of color correcting I tried didn’t really help that much.

I’ll be so glad to finally get to wear it! We might even have cold weather by then!

Author

SullyLiz3

Liz has been sewing since April 2011 but has been crafty all her life. Her full-time job is as a museum curator at a smallish institution, where her DIY skills often come in handy. Liz likes to sew while watching TV, which she uses to measure the amount of time it takes to finish.

8 Comments

  1. As I just finished my first ever coat, I can appreciate the posting of a work in progress. It takes a long time to do it right. I missed my Sunday night deadline as well.
    I love the color and the printed lining is awesome. What type of buttonholes will you be putting in? Will you try bound buttonholes? I was too intimidated to try it. Did you interface the pieces? What did you use?
    It’s going to be so awesome when it’s done. :)

    • I haven’t decided yet. Bound is recommended in the directions but I’m not sure I’ve got it in me. I’d need to practice a lot first.
      So far only the facing pieces are interfaced – with just regular fusible stuff. I may do the same for the rest of the lining as well if I want this to hold out the cold better.

      • I just saw Loran’s comment on your coat post about not fusing the interfacing. I’ll mention that I haven’t fused the little bit that’s there, just sewed it in. So I’ll take her advice on that too for the rest of the coat :D

  2. Yes, it’s going to be stunning! Please give us updates every now and then so we can see the progress : ) LOVE the pocket lining/facing fabric as well. Keep going!!

  3. I understand the challenges of making coats. ;) This year I made 1 lined jacket plus the burnt orange wool coat from the 1960′s challenge. I found it really helpful to have the book “Tailoring: The Classic Guide to Sewing the Perfect Jacket” from Threads. It’s relatively thin, but the photo tutorials were really helpful to me in creating the bound buttonholes, installing the lining, and finishing techniques. Really I used the book throughout both coat & jacket. Good luck, and if you run into any snafus, let me know, perhaps I can help.

  4. Great color and love the happy lining. I’m finding darts difficult to press in wool this week too. I vote for bound buttonholes (though for Barbara in plaid they would have been trickier). If I can do it, you definitely can. I made a low stakes vest from gifted fabric to practice them. Your coat is well worth the fuss.

Leave a Reply