It’s a shirt … (dress)
Fabric: From stash, approx £25 at the time last year.
Notions: Thread from stash, vintage buttons 20p.
Year: 1985 Pattern. Contemporary Fabric. 20′s-40′s(?) Buttons.
Pattern: Simplicity. Won in a giveaway organised by Magpie Mimi.
Time to Complete: Lost count …
Wear Again: Definitely.
This has already been ‘blue’ and ‘ufo’ … Over the past few months, my routine has changed a lot, firstly because of my knitting course and then having to give up some of my time to teach art voluntarily to help someone’s recovery from illness.
Then, unfortunately, another unforeseen illness in my family … which thankfully is getting right now. Sewing has been way down the agenda and I’ve been on hand to help with lots of things
But, I’ve still learned a lot this year and I’m proud of what I’ve been able to produce – finding out how to finish off on the insides properly, hand sew trimmings and flimsy fabrics for instances. I feel more confident about using ‘yummy’ fabrics in with the thrift. (Thanks to Charlotte Tilley for that term – where are you Charlotte?).
I’ve wanted a wearable shirtdress for ages. I won exactly the right pattern from Magpie Mimi. The buttons are genuinely vintage, found on a market stall (I was told from a house clearance …). I wasn’t sure whether or not to part them from their backing card – I believe there is some sort of controversy about doing just that, but they were just begging to be used. I really love the vivid red. I found the fabric ‘new’ and I got it because I wanted to have one of these cherry print fabrics that everyone’s using …. It’s not too noticeable, more like a floral really – maybe that’s why I like it, along with the little marguerite flower in there.
So, this is No.11 in my production schedule, which is OK considering …, averaging out at about 1 project per month. Hope you like it! I do!