The “Loki’s Army” Outfit
Fabric: Black cotton $10, green cotton from stash $0, green satin $5, gold pleather $3
Pattern: Simplicity 1802 for the top and self-drafted everything else
Notions: Zipper $1, hem tape, safety pins (for cape) and headband from stash
Time to complete: 18 hours (1 full season of 30 Rock plus all of Thor and The Avengers and some various Halloween movies too)
First worn: Two weeks ago to the Halloween party at my work
Wear again? Wearing again on Halloween to hand out treats, and will wear as a normal dress after removing some bits
Total price: ~$19
It’s become sort of a “thing” for husband and I to dress up for Halloween as a couple. Ok, that’s totally all my doing. He wouldn’t care if we didn’t dress up, but he does like Halloween as a holiday.
This year it took me what felt like a long time to commit to our costumes. I was afraid Loki was just too involved to be worth it. And who would husband go as?! He just humours me with this and prefers it to not be involved at all, so that eliminated a lot of possibilities. He finally agreed to be Agent Phil Coulson because it’s the least involved costume that is still recognizable…and also awesome!! So that sealed the deal. This was the only picture I got of us together.
I did and I didn’t go for a realistic version of Loki’s costume from the Avengers film. I kept some elements but took some liberties with them as well. I figured black, green, gold and horns were the basic elements. And a tesseract (or “Cosmic Cube”) for good measure.
The top of the dress is from Simplicity 1802, but I did a half-circle skirt for the bottom. The cape and what I can only describe as a “sort-of stomacher” are removable. The stomacher-like thing is sewn in place at the sides for now, but I will take it off later so I can wear the dress just normally.
The horns I conceived myself. Loki’s helmet has horns like a goat, which of course they don’t market with the rest of the Avengers toys and costumes, and I couldn’t find anything similar so I had to improvise. I based mine off of those devil horn headbands you see everywhere around this time of year. Except I attached my horns so they curve back like a goat, as opposed to inward. It was easy to cover the headband with a gold ribbon first, I just slip stitched it around. And then I sewed the horns onto the ribbon. Up-close the stitching isn’t the prettiest, but it got the job done and my hair covers most of the ugly bits.
I had to retake a few photos because I realized I look crabby, not menacing, in the first set. We were going for God of Mischief in the second take, but I think it’s still a bit God of Skepticism. Hmmm.