The “Just Wing It” Wings
Fabric: Spare tulle lying around the house
Notions: Flowers, blanket binding, glue gun
Time to complete: About 2 hours
First worn: October 2012
Wear again? Not likely
Before any of you think I actually sewed something substantial and made the dress, I ONLY MADE THE WINGS. But I did sew them, and that’s what this site is all about. As part of the Halloween fair for Penelope’s school, Pen and I volunteered as ticket-taking fairies.
The school was going to provide me with my costume but since I just had to have something I made myself (even if it was the small details), I started making the wings the morning of the festival. Thankfully, I had Penelope’s fairy wings and this tutorial to use as a model.
Instead of silk, I used tulle. I joined the binding around the neck with stitches so I could easily hot glue flowers all along the neckline. Every place there was binding, I glued flowers or leaves. On the front of the wings, I glue-gunned leaves and flowers directly onto the tulle.
Incidentally, the leaves came from an old fake-flower arrangement I had in my guest bathroom. I’m packing up my house and decided that I’m not bringing it to the next place. So, voila! Instant up-cycling! Penelope got a kick out of the fact that the flowers on my wings came from something that used to be in our bathroom.
So, not a lot a work, overall, but I was happy with the results. The yellow dress was one I had that I wore under my Titanic-era gown. Not a lot of sewing this week, I know. But I’ve got a lot on my plate.
The back view of the wings:
My headpiece (which I also made from leftover flowers and leaves and a couple pipe cleaners).