The “Cleanse my ‘Palate’ before I ‘Fall’ down” Dirndl
Fabric: Black suedette embroidered curtains and white & red sheeting all from stash.
Pattern: Burda 3568.
Year: Pattern looks late 80s/early 90s? But also says ‘robe folklorique/vestido regional de Bavaria….so ‘timeless’?
Notions: 6 buttons ‘stolen’ from the Royal Jubilee challenge jacket, ribbons ‘stolen’ from an old burlesque costume I’ve retired, thread.
Time to complete: 12 hours.
First worn: 20th October 2012 to a friend’s Oktoberfest party.
Wear again? Ja!
Total price: $0 (£0).
The challenge: “Fall Palette”.
Guten Tag aus
Bayern erm, Arizona!
(I apologise in advance for some bad photoshopping in this post. In most of the pics my daughter took, there were friends’ kids running around in the background so I’ve edited them out as we asked permission to take photos but not that I’d publish them on the internet. I also apologise for some ‘morning after pics’, I decided to take when I got fed up photoshopping said children out of the ‘night before’ pics. No prizes on guessing which are which, I did imbibe some delicious riesling and partook of some schnapps).
This ensemble could also be referred to as “What happens when Tempest isn’t in love with the Fall Palette things she’s been making all week, gets an email during Project Runway finale from a friend saying that ‘wearing traditional German dresses and lederhosen’ to her Oktoberfest party on Saturday night would be welcomed’ and thinks ‘if they can make stuff in a day on Project Runway, surely I can make myself a dirndl in a day…..” but that would have been a tad too long as a title.
But that’s what happened.
At the beginning of the week I had a fabulous plan. I really wanted to spend a week and a half on my Halloween outfit (next’s week’s challenge) so I had a men’s shirt and an over-sized skirt in Autumnal colours (sorry I can’t stick with this Fall business) that I could quickly refashion, tick the boxes for this week and free up time for Halloweening.
Then I procrastinated. I wasn’t in love with what I was making. On Thursday I gave up on them and found another maxi dress in my cupboard that needed reworking and considered fixing the mistakes I made on my tangerine tango top from the Pantone challenge. These colours made me happier. I would do this. (But I didn’t).
Because sitting down for the finale of Project Runway (I won’t spoiler dear friends away from American shores) I got an email from my American friend of very proud Bavarian heritage, saying that we could wear our traditional German dresses or lederhosen to her Oktoberfest party in 2 days time. As you probably can guess about me now…I love to dress up, any excuse, no matter how small. But I didn’t have a traditional dress…………however, one of my many purchases of patterns from charity shops during this year just happened to be a Burda pattern for a dirndl. And hang on a minute, didn’t I have some curtains in my stash that had leaves and flowers embroidered on them in autumnal colours….? Yes, I did. But I had less than a day and a half (with some distractions) until the Oktoberfest party! Ah, what’s life without a few stupid challenges.
So I made a Dirndl in a Day, and then added an apron and some flounces with my few hours extra. Flounces like these:
Ribbon I scavenged from a burlesque outfit I’ve retired I sewed onto the false blouse sleeves on the dirndl (the pattern shows the sleeves being in the same fabric as the pinafore/jumper, but I wanted it to look like I was wearing a blouse underneath) and a gathering pleat on the sleeves with button matching those at the front of the pinafore/jumper. I had quite a lot of this ribbon so I made an apron from red sheeting in my stash and added matching ribbon.
Oh and I wore it with the petticoat I made from sewing 3 loops of bed valance for the Mad Men challenge. I was very thankful I had this available because I definitely didn’t have any time spare to knock up a new one. I think the last button was sewn on within half an hour of the party starting…..and a girl needs time to put her lippy on!
I’m quite chuffed (translation: pleasantly happy) with how this week turned out to be honest. I thought it might me a bit of a ‘phoning it in’ challenge before Halloween, but I made something I’ve never tried before in a very short period of time and people at the party thought I might have bought it in Germany (haha I’m sure Djamila wouldn’t be fooled, I do hope this isn’t very wrong of a Brit wearing German traditional outfit…..please if you’re German feel free to wear our, erm, kilts, pearly king jackets, stove-pipe or bowler hats…we don’t really have a British national costume, just bits and pieces from our constituent nations).
We had a wonderful night. I used German language learnt for my ‘O’ level (which I actually failed) for the first in nearly 30 years. I learnt new German phrases and German drinking songs (accompanied by a wonderful accordionist who stunned us with the quality of his playing though just a teenager), I drank a tincy-wincy bit too much (hence the day after pics, blimey that sun was bright and the birdies loud), and as you can see, I danced the night away:
(My friends and their kids pixelated for reasons stated at the start of this post and because this was how they looked to me by this time of the evening. Hic. Oans, zwoa, drei, g’suffa!)
Hey. I’ve just realised. I’ve finally made a LBD that I like. OK, not so little as I made it roomy for partying in…but it’s black, a dress and a bit posh.
OK. Enough fun…..serious Halloween sewing needs doing…..