The “Autumnal Muslin” Dress
- Fabric: raspberry knit jersey (stash)
- Pattern: McCall’s 6612 ($1.99 sale)
- Year: 2012
- Notions: thread (stash)
- First worn: October 3, 2012
- Wear again?: Definitely
- Total price: $2
Okay, folks. I originally made this as a wearable muslin (my first muslin ever) to test out the changes I would need to make in order to use a woven as a lining for my planned contribution to the Western Wear challenge (picture the fabrics I used for this skirt as this long cowl neck dress). It would have been awesome, I’m sure of it. But the last time I thought I was clever enough to use a woven fabric for a knit pattern I realized too late that I wasn’t. So rather than go that route, I did something else for the Western challenge. And time constraints being what I knew they would be this month (church work day, silent auction fundraiser, writing conference out of town, finishing a short story and submitting it to a contest, trip Up North, running a 5k, etc., which is why I sat out last week [though, I also didn't have a UFO to work on]) I made this muslin out of a color that sorta-closely resembles the Pantone Fall 2012 color pink flambé so I could also use it to fulfill a challenge. I feel super clever about this.
Even though the words “fall palette” evoke in my mind gorgeous earthy tones (of which maybe one or two are represented on Pantone’s palette) I will try to get used to the idea of pink for autumn. Anyway, it is comfy, flattering, easy to travel with (wrinkle-wise), and, with a jacket or sweater, it works nicely for the beautiful fall weather we’re having. In fact, I kind of love it. A lot.
Three pieces in the pattern (front, back, cowl) made this sucker come together lightning quick. I love wearing good knits (not the lame, flimsy, el cheapo knits most RTW clothes seem to be made out of these days) and making knit things is really a cinch, even without a serger. This knit was probably purchased in the 1980s and lived for decades undisturbed in a cupboard. It was part of a large haul of fabric that came to me at a pittance because its owner was moving into a nursing home and her daughter was trying to empty out her sewing room. At that time I got 13 lengths of fabric for $75 (including the fabrics for this suit, this coat, this shirt, this dress, this dress, and this shirt). Then several months down the road, she gave the rest of it away and this is what I got for free, almost all of them lengths of 2 yards or more:
I realize to the more colorful of you this all looks supremely boring (look at all that grey!) but I was needing more solid colors at the time and I’d say 1/3 of these are suiting and/or wool that would be pretty pricey new. All this free fabric came to me after I made my vow to not buy any fabric in 2012 beyond necessary lining fabrics (with a proviso that I would accept free fabric). So now, as we near the end of 2012 and the end of that vow, I have so far sewn nearly 40 things–all from the stash–and yet my stash is bigger than it was at the beginning of the year! Things I made from these free fabrics include this skirt, these shorts, this dress, this dress, this cover-up, this vest, this top, and the lining for this skirt.
So, thank you, Sew Weekly, for helping me put a dent in it. But I suppose that sometimes a stash finds you rather than the other way around. :)
We took photos Sunday at Potter Park where the trees are beautiful and the river is lazy. The boy wanted in on some. And something occurs to me as I look at this picture of my son and I singing “Doofenshmirtz holding a bu-uck-et!” (from Phineas & Ferb): the boy is more than half my height now. And I am tall. And he is four. *sigh*