The “Polka Dot Pop-over” Dress
Fabric: Cotton/lycra blend from Chic Fabrics, NYC = $5
Pattern: New Look 6478 = $0.69 from Value Village
Notions: bias trim leftovers
Time to complete: 1.5 hours, including tracing the pattern
First worn: To daycare on September 17th
Wear again? Probably
Total price: $5.69
Challenge: Polka dots
So I had bigger plans for this week than a simple pop-over dress, but I was sidetracked at the 11th hour by my daughter. She saw me sorting through my latest batch of patterns from the thrift store and HAD TO HAVE THIS DRESS! Then she saw this fabric on my ironing board and HAD TO HAVE IT TOO! Considering that I only started on Sunday morning, I didn’t think I was in any position to argue; it was either a quick and easy project, or finish late, as I am wont to do. Eeep.
I planned to make Simplicity 2892 using this fabric because the yardage was just barely enough (if I used another fabric for the facings), and it matched the pattern envelope, so no imagination was needed to see how it would look when made. I bought this during the NYC meetup last September when I got to meet Mena, Debi, Oona, Nettie, Devra, Meg, and some other people that aren’t on The Sew Weekly, but are still cool. Strangely, this is the first of the fabrics from that meetup that I’ve used. Hoard much?
Hmmmm, what to say about a pop-over dress? Umm…..the instructions were lousy, so I ignored them and made it my own way. This “Sew Easy” pattern instructed you to fold over the arm and necklines once and topstitch, then tack some ribbons on for ties. No seam finishing? No bias tape or facings for the armscyes? There’s easy, and then there’s sloppy.
My daughter is tall for 3 years old, so I cut size 5 in length and size 4 in width. I figure she’s only going to get one or two wearings out of this dress before next summer, so I erred on the side of too big rather than too small. The bodice was very wide (see the photos above), so I put a temporary pleat in the centre front and back. I’ll release them next summer when she fills out a bit.
I’ve been pretty tied up over the last two weeks because we had a site visit from our research funding agency (Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation), so I had to rush through some last minute data and prepare a presentation of all the results from our centres in North America, and needless to say, I was freaking out just a little bit. Keep your fingers crossed for me, because besides the continued research, more funding means minimum 2 more trips to Africa, and all the fabric shopping that entails! To top that off, there was a virus going around here that was a dead ringer for pregnancy: lethargy all day, sleeping 12+ hours a night, slight nausea all day, slightly increased temperature, delayed period. There were a lot of frantic pregnancy tests being taken by mothers at my daycare this week, let me tell you!
But it’s all over now except for the funding announcement, and I can relax and get back to normal. I will hopefully have a few evenings free this coming week to work on my next project, which I can promise to be a bit more involved than a pop-over dress.