The ‘last day of summer’ dress.
Fabric: blue and white synthetic knit, from ebay, £5.00 for a couple of yards. As usual, no idea exactly what it is.
Pattern C dress by Masty – free pattern from Burdastyle, with quite a few tweaks
Time to complete a few hours, I did most of it on my serger.
First worn: Today, to Joss Bay with family and friends.
Wear again? Yes, but probably not until next summer now.
Total price: £5.00
According to the weather man, today was the last sunny day we can expect this year, so we decided to make the most of it. We headed out to Joss Bay, a few miles along the coast from where I live. The beach here is sandy, unlike the one in my town, and today it was virtually empty. It was sunny, they got that bit right. However there was a strong breeze, as you can probably tell from my hair, and it did not feel particularly summery. Despite that we were determined to enjoy what might be the last sun we see this year. It was too cold to swim but the kids ran around and played rounders and we enjoyed a picnic. At least there was no chance of the beers getting warm. And it was the perfect opportunity to emotionally blackmail my husband into attempting to take some half flattering photos.
Anyway, the dress. I love maxi dresses. I have two shop bought ones that I wear all the time in the summer. However I have never made one, until now. I have no idea why not. Maybe it is something to do with the fact that I get most of my fabric either in charity shops or on ebay, and there is rarely enough yardage to make one. Anyway, the time was right to give it a go.
I adapted the C dress pattern that I used for my Tangerine Roses dress. I didn’t want the cut out in the back, so I ended up making the two back pieces into one, cutting it on the fold. I also added some length to the skirt as the pattern is not for a maxi dress. I didn’t bother with a muslin or anything sensible like that because I had already made this pattern up before, so I knew it would fit, right? Wrong. What I had failed to take into account was the fact that the fabric I used last time had a lot more stretch. On my first attempt to pull this dress on it became apparent that there was no way the skirt was going to fit over my ample backside. Unfortunately I only had one narrow strip of fabric left. I removed the skirt from the bodice, cut the front piece down the middle, stitched the extra strip in and re-attached the skirt, putting in a pleat at the front.
I think I have just about got away with it. You can see the extra bit I added because the print is facing the wrong way, but I have just about convinced myself that it is meant to look like that anyway. Overall it is a success – comfy, seems to look okay in the pics, and although the fit is not perfect I am hoping to lose a couple of pounds by next summer anyway so I can tackle that next year before I wear it again. And it is blue, and is completed and photographed on time!