The “Easy Peasy” Blouse
Fabric: Linen Blend (?) from stash, $0
Pattern: Vogue 7097 from stash
Notions: 4 buttons from stash, $0
Time to complete: ~1.5 hours
First worn: September 2012
Wear again? Already have x3!
Total Cost: $0
You know when you look at a pattern and think that it’s kind of ugly but could be made cute given the right circumstances? Well, Vogue 7097 was that pattern for me. I’ve picked it up a few times but it back in my sewing box on each occasion. The cover really doesn’t get me all excited to whip up the shirt. Until this challenge, that is. I figured I had fabric with good drape and that I should cull the excuses and alter it if need be to make it cute!
I barely had enough fabric for the shirt, so I shortened it by five or six inches as the shirt is meant to end right past the hips. Unflattering, much? I also eliminated the shoulder seams, back seam, front placket/buttons and the gathering at the top. I feel like the back seam and shoulder seams are completely useless on this shirt. Had I enough fabric, I would have made the front placket and gathered the top. Sans placket, the gathers didn’t feel right.
I did a hem roll on the bottom, added cuffs with buttons to the sleeves and sewed a small facing to the neckline which I turned to the outside. It looks like bias tape, but it’s facing (and less hassle than bias tape, in my opinion!). I intend on making another version of this shirt using a sheer fabric and the version that has the collar extended into a bow. I think it’d look absolutely darling! If anyone is interested in this pattern, I have the original up on my blog for trade.