The “Yellow Polk a Dot” Tankini

I know I’m stretching the boundaries of this challenge a bit but this fabric does have some huge yellow polk a dots on it as well as some green white and pink ones.This is my 3rd and final swim suit making adventure for this summer.  I feel like I’ve learned a lot from the process and I’m sure I will make more next year.  I’ve got my eye on the Jalie Tankini pattern but as you may remember I’m on a pattern diet for 2012 so I’ve been working with the one Ottobre swim pattern I have and a free tutorial.  This suit is the same Ottobre pattern as the pink one I shared at the beginning of the summer just morphed into a tankini.  I remember why I prefer this style on Emily during our first trip to the pool this summer when she loudly announced that she needed to go poop when we had been in the water just long enough to be nice and wet.

So are you wondering what I’ve learned so far about suit construction.  Well I like to line the front and bottoms even on little girl suits.  Some tutorials say you don’t have to but I think the fabric clings a bit too much when its just one layer.  I’m also still trying to decide which stitch is best for the elastic.  I read that setting the stitch length to 3 for a zig zag stitch was best for the elastic but I’ve been getting some popped stitches doing this.  Mind you Emily is not gently and feels she can do everything her self so this might not be a problem for someone a bit older.  I pulled out my manual and discovered that my machine has at least 2 more stretch stitches that I haven’t tried yet so I will give those a go when its time to mend.  I also like to put the elastic for the top into binding rather then just folding it over. This one looks a bit messy on the inside and you can see that it pulls and flips out a bit. I’ve also learned that its much easier to make a suit to fit a long skinny who likes a longer top then it is to buy for one.  The Facts

Pattern :  Ottobre 3/2011 Mermaid Suit modified

Fabric: 1.5 yard remnant for $5.00 I used about 1/2 a yard

Notions: swimsuit elastic $3.00

First Worn: To swim lessons before July 4th

Wear Again: Its been in heavy rotation with this one and this one all summer.

Time to complete: About 2 hours which was good since she saw it and wanted to wear it right then.

Total Cost:$ 8.00 you can’t buy a Target suit for that and I have fabric left for at least one more.

Author

ejegmama

Stephanie mother tried to teach her how to sew growing up but she didn't really get serious about it until her 4 year old daughter was born and she wanted to put her in fancy smocked dresses. Since then, she has learned to smock and sew. Her blog and screen name come from the initials of her two children Elijah who is 8 and Emily who is 4.

6 Comments

  1. Emily is adorable as always, as is her yellow-and-other-colours tanking. I like that you’ve taken the swimsuit challenge and just keep working on it to get it right for you (and her).

  2. love Emily’s suit.. So cute, and the color is so pretty on her.. Happy sewing.

  3. What a cute stretch of boundaries. I’m sure Emily love it!

  4. You are clever and I bet Emily loves her new swimsuit. I love the frill myself. Super job!

  5. The swim-suit looks great.I don’t know if this would help with your elastic issues. When I mae bras I first attach the elastic to the right side of the fabric using a zig zag stich width 3, length 2 on the edge nearest to the scallops. I then trim the fabric under the eastic, turn it to the inside then use a 3-step zig zag stitch width 5 and length 1 to anchor the other edge of the elastic to the garment.

  6. Such a cute bathing suit. The fabric is adorable and looks great on Emily. She’s one lucky girl to have a mom who made her two suits for summer.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *