The “Series of Unfortunate Events” Blouse
Fabric: Cotton Poly Blend, bought in a bulk purchase, ~ $5.00
Pattern: Vogue 9803
Notions: 3 Beige Buttons, $0
Time to complete: 2 hours
First worn: August 16th
Wear again? Yes
Total Cost: ~$5.00
Usually when I sew, I let the fabric lead my decision as to what I will make. In my eagerness to use up this beautiful fabric, I decided that I would make a summer dress out of it. Well… that summer dress became a UFO. After it sat on my sewing table for about a week and some pattern digging, I felt that this pattern was better suited to the fabric. However, in my haste to right my wrong, I somehow managed to not cut out the front pattern piece for the shirt! I had just enough fabric (after shortening the shirt 4 inches) to cut out the front piece if I added a center seam. It was only after I’d cut out these pattern pieces I’d realized I’d forgotten to flip my pattern, so the pieces I had just cut were exactly the same!!
Despite all my mistakes, I managed to sew the shirt together and have it come out decently well. The front seam isn’t in alignment with the buttons, which annoys me, but once it’s pressed you can’t tell, so yay!
This was my first go around with lapped seams. I definitely need to improve my pattern mark transferring skills, as the small dots I made for the matching lines were too hard to find when I went to match the lapped seams.The collar part of the blouse went on painlessly, I’m really digging it’s stoutness! This blouse will be a perfect top for all the high waist bottoms I’ve been accumulating.
This Friday I will be having a giveaway on my blog for the combo blouse and sailor shorts pattern, so stay tuned!