The “Revival” Dress
Fabric: white cotton with black flocked pin dots from JoAnn, white muslin for bodice lining, black with white mini dots Japanese cotton from B&J for sash
Pattern: Simplicity 1668
Notions: invisible zip, hand-made bias tape (used for the raw edge of the hem)
First worn: on my birthday, 8/11
Wear again: yes
Time to complete: about 6 hours
Total cost: $32?
Musical inspiration: Gillian Welch’s 40s-style polka dot dress from the cover of Revival
I love everything Gillian Welch and David Rawlings wear– Dave’s suits, Gill’s dresses, her coat with the fur collar, their boots. Of course I’m a fan of their music too and was lucky to see them live last year while they were touring for The Harrow and the Harvest. What an amazing buoyant joy leaving that theater– after listening to a bunch of sad depressing songs! This dress is a loose interpretation of the dress on the cover of Revival, based on fabric and a pattern I already had.
Happily for me, the grading and fitting went much more smoothly this week, even though this pattern is for an even smaller size than I used for my Suzy dress last week. The pattern pieces are perforated, which I had a phobia about, but they’re also clearly marked with detailed information, unlike another 40s pattern I have that I had to put away because it made my heart pound in fear. So perforations are no big deal. Nice to know.
The fabric is a bit sheer, so I lined the bodice with white muslin, saving me from having to deal with resizing the facing pieces. I have to wear a half-slip. The bust shaping is just a short length of four rows of gathering stitches at the shoulder. Sewing the curved edges at the sleeves and neckline was the tiniest bit tricky. I put an invisible zipper at the center back instead of the side and left out the pockets. I kind of regret the pockets, but there was no time. I also machine stitched the lining to the waistline seam allowance instead of slip-stitching by hand.
When I got to the hem I forgot about time-saving measures and thought it would be great to finish the edge with fancy bias binding I’d made from Liberty Tana lawn over a year ago. Then I ran out of what seemed like so much binding about three quarters into the hem. So I pretended it was a quilt and slapped another contrasting print hand-made bias binding on there. I used the wonderful blind hem foot on my machine and then I really should have called it a night. Ah, the sash. Those seams aren’t finished and it’s not hemmed. I think I’ll be able to salvage it.
Later there were lobster rolls and coconut cream cake with mint whipped cream icing. Yum.