The “Have I Gone Mad?” Suit
“There is a place. Like no place on Earth. A land full of wonder, mystery, and danger! Some say to survive it: You need to be as mad as a hatter.”
I definitely went mad getting ready for this challenge. I started out wanting to create an outfit inspired by an anime character but I couldn’t find any I liked that were from books that were appropriate for kids. I started to stress so much that I finally had to sit down and say a quick prayer to calm down. As I took some deep breaths I had an image of a jacket with tails and a puff made of tulle. I thought I could wear it with my black skinnies and make a hat out of wire like these from Junya Tashiro-
That sounds awesome but what character is that? Luckily my friend Lee was there to make the connection between my vision and The Mad Hatter. Thanks Lee.
I’ll tell you about the hat later. It’s cool right? Here are the facts for the suit:
Patterns: Vogue 8601 for the blazer and Simplicity 2315 for the pants.
Fabric: 6yds poly print $18 and 2yds blend for lining $4
Notions: 2 buttons $2.50 and 1 7in zipper $ .50
Total Price: $25
First Worn and Wear Again: I wore the pants today with a casual top. I’m not sure when I’ll wear the blazer but I will. I won’t wear them as a suit often.
I do not know where the time to make all of this came from. More help from above I think. I did not want to leave out a singe detail and it took me twice as long because I forgot that I had to make sure I matched the prints for each piece. I texted my best friend mid week to whine about how slow everything was going. I didn’t finish the jacket until Friday night. I could have stopped there. The blazer would have worked fine with my “Road Zombie” skinnies or my “Because of You” shorts. I worked on the hat late Saturday afternoon and at about 10pm decided to try a simple pair of pants.
I’ll start with the blazer. It’s pretty simple really. It’s one of those where you sew the outside to the lining then turn it all out. It’s got princess seams and the lower section has a back slit. I decided not to add shoulder pads and to make all four pieces for the lower half out of the fashion fabric. If I had made a muslin I could have addressed some of the fit issues. I usually have to add about an inch and a half somewhere above the bust line. I usually throw it all into the armscye. Which is what I did here. What I should have done was add a half inch to the armscye and an inch below the armscye just above the bust. I should have measured the back length to the waist as well. I would have seen that I needed to raise the waist line an inch. That’s where I ran into a little problem. The second buttonhole is made right at the seam where the top and bottom of the blazer meet. That seam is supposed to hit right at the waist. Because it was too low I couldn’t button it unless I raised it up causing the blazer to bubble up (most unflattering). I ended up closing the button hole and making another higher up. It’s camouflaged a little by the print and because it’s right at the seam. Whew!
Like I said before-the pants are really plain. No pockets. I moved the zipper to the side and forgot the make the back one piece instead of two. I can live with that. When I put them away for the night I honestly didn’t think I would ever wear them. The next morning I pressed them really well and tried them on again. I love them! They’ve got just the right amount of ease and the fabric is perfect for this pattern. It’s actually quite drapey and the hand is nice and smooth. It’s also got a slight sheen. The fact that the prints match up from blazer to pants is a nice coincidence.
I tried to “look mad” or at least make a crazy sort of smile. It came out looking a lot like I thought maybe I had something stuck to my teeth and I was asking if there was. You know what I mean? You pull your lips back to show your teeth then try to talk without moving your mouth. I won’t show you that picture but I will show you what I looked like after I tried-
The hat is made of wire fencing. I wanted something dramatic. I tried putting the flowers on the inside but it didn’t look right to me. I had yellow flowers mixed in but I thought that brought the focus too high so I went with simple white flowers in front.
This photo shoot was almost sabotaged by mother nature. When we left church it was pouring outside. It wouldn’t have been a problem since I was The Mad Hatter and I thought the messier the better but I had just dyed that wig for this shoot and I was afraid if it got wet enough the color would run all over my suit. I decided to get ready anyway and see if maybe we could squeeze it in between storms. We got lucky-the rain had become a light sprinkle.
One last picture.
Just to show you how much make-up I was wearing. I got a lot of stares on my way to the rose garden! I guess I looked a bit “mad”.