“Every Rose Has it’s Thorn” Halter
Fabric: Vintage Cotton, gifted
Pattern: Mccalls 6311 from stash
Notions: separated zipper(3.99), bust pads ($10)
Time to Complete: 6 Hrs
First Worn: August 2012
Wear Again: Probably not
Total Price: $14
The title of this post speaks clearly for itself. I was not feeling this challenge at all, but I made myself do it anyways. Here’s the story, from the top. So, a couple weeks ago I started a dress with a coral and pink floral design that I hand drafted and added yellow bias tape to, thinking it would surely pass for the yellow challenge. I then started to work on the other challenges to get ahead. It wasn’t until last Wednesday, the 1st, I started to regret my decision. I rummaged through my fabric stash for inspiration. I was not feeling inspired at all by the choices of yellow I had. I was not going to go out and but any fabric with out an idea of what to do with it. Side note: I hate wearing yellow. I don’t think it looks good on my skin at all, so you can imagine my frustration in the first place.
It wasn’t until Friday afternoon, of the 3rd, that I felt I needed to step out of my comfort zone and make something I will never wear but just to get the experience and know how of accomplishing something different. This challenge became a learning experience more than any other challenge. It occurred to me that as a designer, not all of my clients are going to have the same modesty background as I do. I, myself do not wear clothing attire that shows a lot of skin, but just because I don’t wear so little, doesn’t mean I wont have clients that don’t. So, I need to make myself more experienced in all kinds of styles of clothing. I need to be able to eventually say “I can do that, when do you need it by?”. I do not want my client demographic limited by all means.
So I chose to do a halter top with a built in bra using this yellow cotton with reddish roses. The pattern is originally a dress, but I only wanted to do the top part and keep it a separate since I only had a little bit of the weekend to finish it. This was so annoying and my body is so awkward to fit. My bust measurement is only 4 inches bigger than my waist measurement. It is really not fun to fit clothes to my bust. I still needed it taken in at the bust and I should have added under wire. I really thought adding the bra would help my lack of…well, you know where I’m lacking. Well, in fact, wearing this top was just awkward. I felt awkward in every way possible with the fit of my halter. I have so much to improve on, but ran out of time. It is what it is for now. Good thing is, is that it can be fixed easily, and maybe I’ll gift it to someone it will fit and will wear it.
You can see it in my face, how much I am hating on this right now. Oh well, I used Sew Weekly to better my skills on this one.
Year of No Fear!!!