The “White Goes With Anything” Dress
Pattern: McCall 6349 View C
Fabric: seersucker and quilting cotton for lining
Notions: jeans zipper, ribbon, interfacing
Time to complete: from cutting to final touches – 3 weeks
First worn: today for pictures (that’s what I always say!)
Wear again: Yes! Next planned for the 4th and then, hopefully a lot for the rest of the summer.
There’s a lot I could say about this dress. I think I’ll say some of it here and save some of it for my personal blog. In short, I bought this seersucker knowing I wanted a breezy summer dress of some kind, possibly a Colette Hazel. But, sadly, I am cheap and a $1.99 McCall pattern can sometimes be more alluring than the most desirable indie pattern.
I read some reviews, the few I could find, and they were all positive. I was a little concerned about the lining and underlining of this dress (I didn’t even know the difference before I made it!) but the reviews said the directions were clear and it wasn’t difficult to put together. I will agree with those who said it was tedious. There are a lot of steps and I hand sewed the bodice lining to the zip and at the waist.
Because of the underlining and lining, this dress, which was supposed to be something I could throw on even on the hottest Mississippi summer day, is not as breezy as I’d hoped. Like I mentioned previously, this is the first time I’d ever encountered underlining, so I may not know what I’m talking about here… I really don’t see why you couldn’t skip it. A bra and three layers of fabric gets a little warm. Another option would be to add cups to the inside of the dress if you’re petite like me.
After putting together the bodice, I slipped it on to check the fit and was distressed to find that I had to blow all the air out of my lungs before I could get the edges to meet in the back. I made a decision on the fly to use an exposed zipper, not really my style, but I encouraged myself, “They are everywhere now and on trend, so why not use one?”
I inserted the zipper in the bodice (which made attaching the skirt later tricky) and put it back on to check. It was baggy! What in the world? It was like the magic, size-changing bodice! I totally could’ve used an invisible zip because I ended up trimming about 2 inches off get a snug fit.
My hubby helped me with the strap placement. I wanted them to lay perfectly flat, so I paid no attention to the pattern markings and just had him pin one where I liked the look of it while I was wearing the partially completed dress. I have to say, I was scared of him wielding pins, but there was no bloodshed.
Despite this dress not being the perfect hot weather dress as I’d hoped, it IS the perfect blank slate and therefore very versatile. You can hop over to my blog (www.theprettypickle.blogspot.com) and see the different ways I accessorized just for this photo shoot. I’m sure, over time, I’ll discover many more.
This was my “pin-up” look. You can see the detail on the front of the dress better like this, so I had to include these pics.
For the lining, I dug around in my stash and found some quilting cotton from the Sunkissed collection by Moda. It was originally intended to become a quilt backing, but I don’t think I want an ivory quilt backing any more. I really enjoy fabric with script writing on it, so the lining is a little happy, just for me.
And for y’all, because I’m showing you. :)
I think I’ve added a versatile and very wearable piece to my wardrobe. I VERY rarely make solid colored clothing because I can’t resist a beautiful printed fabric. I might have finally been converted by this dress because of how many ways I can accessorize it and how many occasions it could be appropriate for. I could run errands in this, go on a date, or heck, I could even get married at a casual beach ceremony in this… or in my case, renew my vows.
Ok, I’m done, check the blog if you just can’t get enough.