The “Lake George” Shorts
Fabric: Robert Kaufman cotton linen denim, leftover from Riveter dungarees
Pattern: Colette Iris
Notions: red piping, invisible zip, 4 anchor buttons recycled from a Colette Parfait that I’m now calling a muslin, interfacing, all from stash
First worn: for photos at Lake George, NY
Wear again: yes
Time to complete: about 6 hours, a lot of that fitting
Total cost: free-ish. Have you noticed I never include the cost of the pattern? The higher number would make me feel bad, and I prefer to shut my eyes.
Our heat wave broke and I managed to sew some shorts! I don’t wear shorts much, probably because the few pairs I have are either ill-fitting or too old and rotten to wear in public. That is about to change, because I’ve found the perfect shorts pattern. After a lot of fitting. And minus the pockets. But I’ll get to that. I decided to go all sailor on you since this challenge coincided with our arrival in the Lake George area for a week of Suzuki guitar camp. My daughter is the primary student, but in Suzuki there’s heavy parent involvement and I’ll be doing lessons every day too. We sit down to play– classical style, not rock and roll– so my usual summer dresses and skirts are out. Yay for shorts.
I had to sew these up first to pinpoint the fitting issues because the shape of the crotch curve and the angles of all the lines of the pattern were completely different from my pants block and I had no idea how to start. Not a good sign. As it turns out, the fit was pretty spot on aside from the inseam, which was a mess. I ended up raising and shortening the back crotch curve as well as lengthening the front crotch curve at the inseam. A lot. Again, without the brilliant pants block from Steph I would have been totally lost in this process. Now I want to try Clovers and Madeleine bloomers again, with my new understanding of Colette crotch curves.
I didn’t think there was a pocket I didn’t like, so I’m surprised to find that I’m not a fan of the Iris pockets. Though a cute design feature, and necessary for this anchor-button version, the placement of the pockets in the princess seams makes them uncomfortable and impractical. I’ll never use them, so what’s the point of sewing them in? All the better for quick shorts construction in the future. Speaking of quick construction, I actually used my serger to finish the seams on these shorts, definitely not my preferred method. However, serging does speed things up and I need as many shortcuts as possible in my summer sewing since I have no time to myself whatsoever. Let’s see what fun tricks I can pick up in the coming weeks. Oh I also chopped off this towel-like knit top and hemmed it with a twin needle, a new technique for me that I’ve read about widely from the likes of you. Worked like a charm. Don’t know if I love the boxy top though.
I wish we took some photos with my legs together so you could see how well these fit, but it had just rained torrentially, the bugs were eating us, and we were trying to get DONE. I admit I’m still a little nervous in this setting without pavement and a ton of people around.