The “In the Garden of St. Mark’s” Skirt
Fabric: Floral cotton broadcloth from Mulberry Silks; Seaform cotton voile lining from Sew L.A.
Pattern: Flirting the Issue Skirt, free pattern from Anna Maria Horner
Notions: 1/2″ wide elastic
Time to complete: 3 hours or so
First worn: July 6th, 2012
Wear again? Yes!
Total Cost: ~$20
I made this skirt in less than a day, which is a true feat for me. Granted, this isn’t a complicated skirt by any stretch of the imagination, but it still felt good to have a brand new cheerful skirt to wear around town this summer. It also didn’t cost that much AND it used up two pieces of fabric from my stash. How great is that?!
For this week’s theme, “The Great Outdoors”, I chose to take my inspiration from one of the loveliest gardens in the city – that of St. Mark’s-in-the-Bowery Church at Second Avenue and East 10th Street in the East Village section of Manhattan. Known as the Healing Garden, it’s actually a bit of a secret garden tucked away from the hustle and bustle of the city. The once vibrant pink and blue flowers (forgive me, I don’t know the type) had lost their luster when the above photo was taken, but I tried honoring their beauty with my me-made fuchsia-colored floral skirt and blue Ann Taylor top. If it works in nature it works for me!
It was a bit tricky for me to get photos in the garden, so here I am in front of the church itself. The original portion is from 1795 and was built on the land of a former Dutch plantation – how about that?
The pattern from Anna Maria Horner isn’t really a pattern at all – she provides instructions on how to put it together and you measure out everything yourself. You just need your waist measurement and desired length of the skirt (along with factoring in seam allowances). I chose to go with an above-knee measurement – less fabric to beat this humidity, I say.
The slight stiffness of the broadcloth provides a nice bit of poof to the skirt, which is fun to pair with heels. I bought it at a cute store called Mulberry Silks near Chapel Hill, North Carolina while visiting a friend last summer (my friends humor me with my fabric store visits). They only had a yard and a half left of the fabric and so it sat in my stash for a year as I tried to figure out what I could do with it. This pattern eats up very little fabric, I even have a bit left over for I don’t know what!
Goofy photo, but it provides the best view of the skirt print!
I’d say the longest part of the process was installing the elastic through the casings. I only had 1/2″ wide elastic on hand – rather than the 1/4″ elastic the instructions called for – so I created 3 channels instead of 4. I’d go with this in the future, especially considering that’s one less channel to deal with.
Okay, so that’s 2 Sew Weekly challenges completed in the last few weeks. So satisfying! Thanks for reading and have a great one, world. :)