The “Devil Wears Floral” Top
Fabric: Floral print cotton (top), polka dot print cotton (obi belt)
Pattern: Simplicity 2599
Notions: Bias binding, button, embroidery thread for back button loop
Time to complete: 6 hours
First worn: To Baskin Robbins
Wear again? Yes
Total Price: $6
For the Summer Trends challenge, I unsuspectingly sewed with the Devil… who’s always fashionably late.
No, not Miranda Priestly. But the devil also know as “Murphy’s Law”. You see….I set out to make some minor fitting corrections to a bodice pattern… and, after two muslins, a fusible interfacing incident, and a final dress that FIT WORSE THAN BEFORE but in NEW places…
I had a SEWwakening (not before fuming, growling, and nearly quitting): in order to rescue my self-esteem, it was time to go BACK TO BASICS.
So, I revisited one of my first garment patterns, a simple sleeveless shell, and began perfecting its fit and construction using all of the knowledge I have now.
After one “re-muslin” and the final top you see here, I learned:
- Narrowing the shoulder width worked well, but it could be reduced further so the shoulder line of the shell sits at a more flattering spot and the front neckline isn’t so loose.
- Lower necklines are also more flattering on me. I’ll lower this one a couple of inches and draft a scoop neckline for a second variation.
- My D-cup dart uptake is huge. There’s a french dart technique I could employ to reduce the bulk, but the truth is, I hate sewing darts and would rather rotate it to the neckline and sew pleats or gathers.
- I need more practice hand sewing thread loops. My blanket stitches are still not even.
- I LOVE finishing necklines and armholes with a narrow bias binding. 1/2″ pre-made bias tape is a perfect alternative to facings (especially when fusible interfacing decides to stop fusing to fabric).
Thanks for looking.