The “Arm Placement is Crucial” Jacket
Fabric: Brushed flannel, ~$1 thrifted
Pattern: McCall’s 3242 ~$2
Year: c. early 1950s
Notions: 6 buttons
Time to complete: 12 hours
First worn: July 2012
Wear again? Yes!
Total Cost: ~$3
One of my favorite vintage clothing purchases is this ’49er-style jacket (not a Pendleton) from the early 1950s. I purchased it at Alameda (I believe) for less than $30 and I wear it ALL THE TIME. So when it came time to figure out something to make for this week’s Great Outdoors challenge, I knew I wanted to recreated my beloved wool jacket.
As it turns out, McCall’s 3242 is pretty much an exact replica of my jacket (and all 49ers, I imagine). Down to the pleats and cuffs, everything is the same. And while I had the most perfect Pendleton wool in my stash, I sadly didn’t have enough yardage to complete the jacket. I ended up settling for a brushed flannel that, while not as stiff as Pendleton wool, feels pretty nice and soft.
Boy, the construction of this thing kicked my butt. Not that it was incredibly difficult — I’m just so used to making dresses. And, this was the first time I ever made button-up cuffs. Oh, and there was a big mistake that added about an extra hour or two to the process: I put the sleeves on the wrong arms. While it usually wouldn’t be a big deal with other type of sleeves, the fact that the cuffs need to be on the underside of the wrist and not the top was a bit of a biggie. So, the day after I took my first set of photographs, I decided to fix it and do the photoshoot again.
Here’s a photo from before I fixed the sleeves. You can see the that the cuff opening is in the wrong place. Thankfully, fixing it was easy enough. I simply removed the sleeves (even though they’d been serged) and switched them around.
I really want to make this jacket again. I can only imagine it will be much easier the second time around. But, goodness, dresses are so much easier!