The “Had to Have It” Shirt (that became a) Dress
Patterns: McCall’s M6124, McCall’s M6512, Simplicity 2447
Fabric: 2yds Chambray $16
Notions: thread $2.50, 15 buttons $10.50
Total Price: $29 (that’s a lot for me!)
First Worn: Sunday
Wear Again?: of course
It’s probably no surprise to you all that I picked Prince Harry. Not because I have some sort of crush on him but because it’s more like me to pick one of the guys. I saw this Chambray a couple of weeks ago and was dying to get my hands on some. Luckily I found this picture of Prince Harry wearing a denim shirt. Even though I never think of the guy it felt very strange looking him up and viewing pictures of him leaving nightclubs.
I’ve been wanting a denim shirt for some time now and had no luck finding any at the thrift stores. When I started placing the pattern pieces on the fabric I realized that I had enough to make the shirt dress. I knew if I made the shirt dress I’d still have to make myself a shirt at some point and that if I didn’t the extra fabric would just lay around in my stash so I went for it.
I used pattern 6124 for the dress, 6512 for the pockets, and 2447 for the sleeve tab. As usual I had to add an inch and a half just above the bust point because the bust and waist were hitting me a little high. What I forgot to do was adjust for my hips since I was cutting a size smaller for a little less ease. When I had the basic piece together I tried it on and it was tight at the hip. Since I decided to do French seams as a finish I wasn’t too keen on opening it all up to bring the seams out a 1/4 in. My sewing instructor had a solution-I sewed from the bottom of the arm scythe towards the waist tapering out to about 1/4 in. and stopping and back tacking to secure the seam. Then made a small clip about 1/2 inch above the end of the seam and opened the fabric out and pressed it flat. Then I went back to my seam and continued sewing all the way down to the hem. Sounds confusing and I wish I knew enough about computers to draw you a picture. It worked. It’s amazing what an extra inch will do.
I love top stitching and may have gone a little crazy with it. I actually had to stop myself at some point so that I would have enough thread for all those buttonholes. Almost every seam has two rows of top stitching. The original hemline was straight all the way around with small side vents. I ditched the side vents and had the hem curve up at the sides like some button downs do. You can see the side of the hem in this picture.
I’m laughing because I’m trying to look as though I’m really into those flowers.
I used the sleeve piece from the Simplicity pattern to mark the place where the tabs would be sewn on. After I made the tabs and sewed them on and sewed that little square with the X in it to hold it in place I realized that they were about 4 inches too long. I’m not sure why they would make them that long. I thought about cutting them down without having to undo the stitching but instead I decided to turn it into an “interesting detail”. At first I was going to add D-rings to pull the tabs through but my pal at the fabric store was against it. I decided to use buttons instead.
There are three buttonholes. First I pull the tab up and button it then fold it over. I think it looks pretty cool. The pattern does not include a piece for a belt but I made one so I could have it as an option. Just a simple one that wraps around my waist a few times.
I mentioned a sewing class up there. I decided to take one because I’m trying to make a dress for someone and wanted the extra help with alterations. There is so much going on in my life at the moment I may have to pass the project along to someone else. Don’t think I need any more stress. Thank God for Sew Weekly-the weekly projects are keeping me sane!
I happened to find this picture of Princess Kate wearing this shirt dress. It doesn’t look like chambray but the color is similar.
All right ladies-wish me luck for next week. It’s the last week of school and my time is all tied up in end of the year activities. I won’t have much time to sew and I haven’t bought my fabric yet. I may have to ditch my project for a smaller more manageable one. We’ll see.