The ‘Flowers are Forever’ Dress
Fabric: Drapey polyester stuff I bought new but on sale sometime last year
Pattern: Butterick B5209
Year: 1947 (reproduction)
Notions: Invisible zipper from stash
First worn: For these photos (such bad photos!)
Wear again: Yes.. without the pearls
Cost: Under $30 for pattern and fabric – but both have been in the stash for a year.
So… I like floral prints…and I have heaps of floral fabric in the stash. (What’s that.. you’d never have guessed! lol)
I’d say that 99% of my fabric stash is prints… and 80% of that is floral. The queen on the other hand tends to wear plain head to toe colour. But….. back in the day, she did wear prints.. and floral (sometimes with matching turbans). Promise.
This past week I’ve really gotten into all things Queen Elizabeth. In short.. she’s pretty darned fabulous, and I’ve no idea why it’s taken until her Diamond Jubilee for me to find that out. I even bought the Women’s Weekly collector magazine thingy and have been gushing over all the old photos and stories. (Let me tell you.. the look I got from the teenage sales girl at the counter was priceless! I have officially entered the ‘old’ category)
My inspiration came from the floral day dresses she and her sister used to get about in in the 40′s. (sidenote: Did they always wear the same shoes as each other!)
This pattern has been around the block a few times, but this is the first time I’ve made it. I’m pretty proud of the fit I achieved on that bodice. I traced from every size in the multisized pattern and then some to get that fit. According to the pattern I should be a 12, but from the few modern sized patterns that I’ve used, I knew that wouldn’t be the case. Working totally off gut instinct, I traced – sz. 12 for the midriff, adding a little at the side seams. sz. 10 for the sleeves and armhole, sz. 8 for the shoulder and neck, and sz. 6 for the bust. I also raised the neckline 1cm. And guess what! It all lined up perfectly and it fit! wooh hoo!
I also changed the construction up a bit. (not that I could understand the instructions anyway!) I cut the front midriff and skirt pieces on the fold instead of with a centre seam. And I wasn’t keen on having the gathering at the bust done separately on the outer and lining. I knew that would just result in a baggy mess on me. I don’t have much to fill out these kind of styles so having the lining and outer slipping around independently under the bust wasn’t going to work. It took all my spacial awareness to figure out how I was going to gather the lining and outer as one but still be able to neatly enclose the side seam and zipper on the inside, and of course.. with no handstitching – but I’m pround to say- I did it!
I’m not so proud of the gathering at the waist. ughh. Polyester. this stuff bounces all over the place. I did use 3 rows of gathering and stitch between them… but still no joy.
Of course being polyester, I’ll never be able to wear this dress in Summer here. But it’ll be nice for Winter with a Cardi. Our weather has finally cooled down! I’m not sure what happened to Autumn this year. I think it missed the memo.