The “Better Luck Next Time” Shorts
Fabric: Orange broadcloth from Halloween last year $2
Pattern: Simplicity 0635 from mom’s stash
Notions: 2 buttons, and hook/eye from stash
Time to complete: 6 hours (6 eps of The Forsythe Saga)
First worn: For pictures on the weekend
Wear again? Not a chance
Total price: ~$2
I was wavering if I was going to do this week or not. I couldn’t really find any trends that spoke to me. But then “neon” kept popping up in my research and I couldn’t look away. Luckily I had some neon broadcloth in my stash from making Halloween decorations last year. I had more neon green than this orange, but I figured Tangerine Tango was the Pantone Color of the Year, so I should try it out. I had just enough to make these shorts.
I chose to go with shorts just because I’m trying to work on the fitting. A lot of times I settle for “close enough” – ok, basically ALL the time – but trousers and shorts are harder to fudge. I thought this pattern would be a good one to play with. The pattern calls for an elastic waist and faux fly, but I tried my hand at making the fly real and put in some darts to take up the bulk around the waist. I didn’t have an orange zipper, but I did have orange buttons so they won by default.
I definitely tried to do too much. When all I had left was the hemming, I was really upset with them. They just aren’t right. And for a while I was sad because I wouldn’t be able to do anything else this week so I’d have to skip. But then I sucked it up and said that Sew Weekly is just as much about the fails as it is about the wins.
So here they are. My epic fail shorts.
If I ever need orange buttons again, or scraps of orange fabric, these are getting chopped to pieces! Until then they will be fall-back summer pjs because they are soft and loose.