The “Apple” Sundress
Fabric: apple printed worn cotton duvet cover, given to me by a friend; well-worn old sleeveless shirt for the flat piping and pocket binding; white muslin for bodice lining, $2
Pattern: Pattern Runway Gathered Sundress
Notions: store-bought piping from stash, self-made flat piping, invisible zip
Time to complete: about 7 hours?
First worn: 6/16
Wear again: yes
Total cost: about $4
For this challenge, I wanted to make a carefree sundress to keep me happy in the urban heat. Summer vacation means I’ll be doing lots of fun stuff about town with my daughter, like going to museums, playgrounds, and the beach. We’ll also spend a week in the Adirondacks at guitar camp. I think this dress will do me well in all of those situations. Both the duvet cover and the shirt had seen a lot of use before they found their way to this dress. I love the well-broken-in softness and beachy, casual feel to the fabrics. The shirt has an embroidered pineapple pattern that you can see a little on the pocket binding.
The pdf pattern was easy to put together and the instructions were well-organized and full of tips– great, professional design overall. I cut the armholes a little deeper. I believe the technical term for this is lowering the armscye. Anyways, I did that, and I also cut off about 6 inches from the skirt length because it was looking pretty frumptastic. I like it a lot better shorter, but I’ve now collected enough evidence to conclusively determine that I just don’t like dirndl skirts on me.
I wanted piping on both waistband seams, but I ran out of store-bought piping (leftover from another project) after I did the top seam. So I made my own by cutting bias strips and folding them in half wrong sides together. I actually like my flat piping better. Now that I know how easy it is, I’ll be adding this feature to future creations. I’m pleased with how the bodice lining turned out– all beautiful and clean inside. Sewing weekly is really starting to show!