The ‘Primrose Polka Dot’ Dress
This should be called the ‘dress that almost didn’t happen,’ but the sewing bug bit me once I saw Mena’s inspiration posts for this week’s theme. After I saw the various prints in florals and polka dots, and the dress shapes, an idea popped into my head. I had just ordered some grey fabric with pink polka dots with no particular pattern in tow. But the 40s silhouettes made me think of Colette’s Ceylon. Interesting… I checked the yardage requirements and I had enough!
Fabric: 3.5 yards Michael Miller Dumb Dot cotton in dark grey with pink polka dots $20
Pattern: Colette Ceylon, previously made $0
Notions: 16 buttons $4, bias tape $2
Time to complete: Approx. 6 hours
First worn: To my nephew’s baptism
Wear again? Yes! Love it!
Total cost: $26
I’d already made this pattern before, but some of the assembly details were still a little tricky, and my memory was fuzzy. I had to refer to my previous version a couple of times to make sure I wasn’t going to make any silly mistakes. I started cutting out the pattern on Wednesday night, and squeezed in sewing time so that I could finish the dress on Saturday night. The hubby and I got some upsetting news at the beginning of the weekend, so working on this dress was a nice distraction.
I wore the dress on Sunday to my nephew’s baptism. We were his godparents and the ceremony was at my childhood church and grade school. It was fun being back at my old stomping grounds, and I got to show my hubby where I went to school. The dress was perfect for the occasion and I know I’ll get a lot of use out of wearing it to work or just day-to-day.