The “Necktie” Blouse
- Fabric: Ummm…? (free from destashing sister-in-law of a friend)
- Pattern: Simplicity 2194 (stash)
- Year: 1957
- Notions: thread (stash)
- Time to complete: 3 hours
- First worn: March 2012
- Wear again?: Yes
- Total price: $0
I’m going way back to the Make This Look challenge in January and finally posting mine. Why did it take me this long? I don’t know. Inspiration wasn’t hitting as I looked at the MTL archives and so I randomly went on the Ruche website and noticed a trend: everything has an interesting neckline, often with a ruffle or tie of some sort. Well, almost everything. And I just happened to have a pattern that fit. I actually made the thing in March, but forgot about it and certainly forgot to get photos of it! So here are my inspirational pics, all lifted from Ruche:
And here’s my 1957 version. Darts give it a bit more shape and make tucking easy.
This fabric (whatever it is) was a dream to work with. I love it. For the first time I did every single seam, including sleeves, as French seams and I love the inside of this blouse as much as the outside. The pattern was very simple and clear. I love that there’s no interfacing. I love that they have you sew the sleeve cap on and then do one seam from the cuff of the sleeve all the way down the bodice and to the bottom hem (like I’ve done with knits). It’s SO MUCH EASIER to keep your sleeves from bunching and your fingers from being impaled by copious pinning. And, again, it facilitates clean French seams.
So, better late than never, I guess. :)