The ‘mixed up mashed up’ top that nearly wasn’t.
Fabric Anna Maria Horner fat quarter, spotty red knit stuff leftover from this dress, red and white gingham for bias binding
Pattern I drew around a vest top that fits and winged it from there
Time to complete Should have been a couple of hours, max. But it took quite a bit longer. . .
First worn Today, for photos
Wear again? I hope so.
Total price All fabric was left overs or gifts, so free.
I am still not convinced about this top. I was going to write it off and concentrate on next weeks challenge but the kids were quiet for once when I got in from work tonight so I got stuck in and finished it. I was originally going to skip this challenge. I totally lack confidence when it comes to matching fabrics. I did have a hunt through my stash, which opened my eyes to a few things. Firstly if I am seriously going to try and use all the fabric in my stash for clothing then I do not have a hope in hell of ever having a coordinated wardrobe. Secondly, I obviously have a magpie- like tendency to acquire weird shiny stuff that I can only ever see myself wearing if I join a Seventies tribute band. And thirdly, I do actually have a couple of prints that sort of go together.
After all that effort sorting through my stash I decided to wing it without a pattern. I started off trying to copy a dress I used to have that fell apart because I wore it so much. For the top bit I drew around a vest top I already wear. For the rest I gathered a couple of rectangles of the knit fabric and stitched them to the fat quarter bits then stitched up the shoulders and sides. I bias bound the neck and arm holes then tried it on. And realized that I looked about eighteen months pregnant. When I wore the original dress I was fifteen years younger and four dress sizes smaller, but now my body has changed to the point where I just cannot wear that kid of loose fitting style.
No worries. It really didn’t work as a dress but it would be easy to chop it a little and wear it as a top.
At least you would have thought so.
Unfortunately I underestimated how much stretch the knit had and my dress became a crop top. Again, fine fifteen years ago, not such a good look after two children and no time for the gym. Another fail. However this evening I decided to attack it one last time. I had the bits of spotty stuff I cut off, but reattaching them would just look like I cut it to short then tried to fix it, which is exactly did happen of course, but I’d rather nobody knew. I did have some scraps of gingham and some of the fat quarter left, so I joined them into a strip and sewed them to the bottom of the top, then doubled the bit I cut off and stitched that to the bottom. It sort of did the trick, and as a bonus it didn’t even need hemming!
Overall I think it is good enough to wear around the house, or for running around town under a jacket. It is still not the most flattering garment (and check out those weird bits under the arms) but it is comfy and I won’t worry about destroying it when I’m messing about with the kids.