The “Mermaid” Jamies
This was not my original plan for this week or this fabric. Unfortunately, one of the fabrics I had planned on using in a dress this week did not quite work with my other fabric. I guess that is just the chance you take ordering on line but I knew when I saw them together that I would never wear a dress with conflicting hues of white (weird I know but we all have our quirks). I didn’t have time to order more fabric so it was time to come up with a plan B.
That lead me to this fabric. I originally bought it about 4 years ago with Emily in mind. She is a little girl and its mermaid fabric what could go wrong right? Well the mermaids are topless. Their hair covers their nipples but her daddy was just not cool with that and truth be told neither was I .
So here we are 20 challenges in (19 for me since one of mine was only going to be pictured from inside my sewing room trash can) and I’m taking pictures in my bedroom. You see I really didn’t want to wear topless mermaids in public either but this is lovely soft fabric and somehow I have almost no summer jamies despite living in an area where summer is long and hot. These are both Ottobre patterns and are quite comfy. I wasn’t sure about the top while making it but it has elastic around the top, in the straps, and under the empire waist so it gives the girls enough support to be comfy on its own. I also did flat fell seams for all of the side seams to make them more comfy to lie around in.
Fabric: 3 yards of Heather Ross Mermaids bought on clearance for $9.00 total
Patterns: Ottobre 5/2011 designs 1 and 2
Notions: lingerie elastic $1.79, other elastic, leftover ribbon from last years bumble bee dress.
First Worn: for pictures
Wear Again: yes
Time To Sew: about 4 hours
Total Cost: about $15.00