The Land Girls Overalls
Fabric: Denim curtain from an antique store, $10
Pattern: EvaDress Pattern 4536, $20
Notions: seven buttons, thread
Time to complete: 8 hours altogether
First worn: today for pictures
Wear again: Definitely!
Total Price: $30
Friends, when the lovely Sarah of Rhinestones and Telephones asked me to be part of That’s Sew Cinematic, I was crazy excited. I was in the middle of watching Land Girls on Netflix and I KNEW that I needed to make overalls. I started assembling the pieces and it wasn’t until a few weeks ago when I stumbled into an antique store that I found this fabulous denim curtain. I had originally been looking for a canvas material, but was completely unable to come up with anything similar. When I saw this huge denim curtain was only $10, I knew that I could definitely adapt my ideas for the right price :)
Before I actually began cutting out this pattern last weekend, I freaked out. This would be the first 1940s pattern I had ever worked on, and while the EvaDress directions were very clear and good, I was worried that I was going to mess it up. So, in order to calm my nerves a bit, I had some wine and then got to cutting. I am seriously lucky that everything turned out without weird holes. I was also worried that sewing through denim was going to kill my sewing machine – it doesn’t do well with thick fabrics. Thankfully, it’s still running well and I didn’t break a single denim needle! I consider that quite the accomplishment since I usually break a needle on most projects.
I spent a good portion of the eight hours of this project on fitting these overalls to my figure. I cut out the largest size because I was panicking that there would be enough to make adjustments in the seams. I also added four inches to the length of the pants (a good thing since the hem is only 3/4″ – I feel rather like a giant). I ended up taking out 1 1/2″ out of the sides, but I was still glad for the safety net I had added while cutting. Once I got to sewing, and then to the fitting, I was exceptionally pleased that I had chosen this project. Trying to tackle the fit was a bit tricky, since I had to fit both my bottom and top and I wanted a more fitted look overall. These overalls were also a serious trust exercise in my relationship as I had to rely on my boyfriend quite a bit to mark up the back of the overalls for the overlap.
Pardon the little white threads in the buttonholes -I had just finished these 10 minutes before and was too excited to remember to cut those out. I used large white buttons from my stash for both the back buttons and front strap buttons. I was able to spread the back buttons out due to their size and this makes me feel more secure about the low vent that’s being closed. I’m also a large fan of the back belt – it didn’t line up exactly with the third button due to their new positioning, but I think it works well enough. I used navy thread for all seam and top stitching as I didn’t want these to stand out – I was going for simplicity with this garment and I wanted the overall shape to stand out most.
I am so glad I got over my initial fears of working with denim and 1940s patterns. I love these overalls as they are comfortable, easy to lounge in, and have very spacious pockets :) Perfect for a day out about town!