The ‘Good Ol’ 40s Try’ Dress
Fabric: Floral Rayon
Pattern: Simplicity 2473
Time to complete: 3 hours, but it needs some work.
First worn: For pictures
Wear again? Signs point to no.
Total price: $6.00 for the fabric
I was very excited to do a 1940s dress for this challenge, and I gave it a good try. Unfortunately school found a way to highjack my time just one more time before summer vacation began. I choose this pattern since it’s been in my stash for the last few years and I have always been drawn to the pretty scalloped sleeves. What I forgot to remember, was the lack of instructions when it comes to vintage patterns. It’s not that I can’t figure it out, usually I do alright, it’s just that it requires more time. What the hell possessed me to try and make this dress in a day? I am not sure.
No matter. When pushing through this challenge I learned a few things. First, I do not know how collars work. I thought I had cut the collar piece…I’m still certain I cut the collar pieces…When it came to constructing the collar, however, I just could not figure the damn thing out. So, no collar. Instead I just made a facing and then topstitched everything to make it look nice a clean. I kind of like how that worked out. Second, I do not like the 40s length. IF I dare to ever try this pattern again, I will be shortening the skirt significantly. Third, I LOVE SCALLOPS! They are just so damn cute! I want to put them on everything from now on. :)
In the end, this dress is donzo, but only so far in that I am not interested in fixing it. It’s not even going to make it to my UFO pile. I’m still deciding on whether or not I’ll relegate the pattern to my ‘give away’ pile. With all my free time, I might have to give it one more go just to be sure.