The “Disgruntled Romanian Flamingo Blouse”
So it’s official now: I just don’t smile in photos. I thought I was smiling (or at least looking neutral) but here we go: Hubby took pics of me again that make me look as if I am a completely unlikeable person. Will I be more likeable if I try to blame my little son for my bad mood? Probably not.
We had perfect weather today – it felt like the first real summer day – and we went to one of Berlin’s zoos to have a picnic and have loads of fun (and to take some pics of me in front of them flamingos). We did have a picnic, we had quite a good amount of fun but we also ended up having a very disgruntled child who desperately needed a nap but refused to have one in that nifty little handcart that we used to pull him around the park…
Anyway, let’s talk about my blouse which is the third challenge I have managed to take on this year. I know that’s quite meagre but something always comes in the way so I was happy to see that there was a pink challenge because I started to work on this blouse in early March (no kidding). I took me forever to complete it because I wanted to embroider it with my sewing machine. It’s only some preprogrammed decorative stitches on my sewing machine but it still took several hours to embroider both sleeves and the front of the blouse. Sewing the whole thing together was relatively simple (although this pattern has some mean gussets to insert under the arms – I have come to the conclusion that I am not a fan of gussets) but I simply had a lot of work coming in between, little terrorist got sick, little terrorist needed new pants (priority!), little terrorist needed new pj’s (why does he grow so fast???) so it really took me almost two months to complete this simple blouse.
I’ll give you a nice closeup of the whole thing (excuse the frown but my son was sitting right there in his cart and moping around):
⁃ Fabric: Very thin linen (that frayed like hell!) I bought this about 6 years ago at a fabric market.
-Pattern: “Roumanian Blouse” No. 103 from Folkwear (independent pattern company). I love their patterns and finally ordered some for myself as a bday gift to myself. This was the first pattern of them that I tried out and definitely not the last one.
– Year: Year of the pattern? Well, this is the pattern for a traditional Romanian blouse so I guess one can’t really name a year.
⁃ Notions: machine embroidery yarn, rubber band (to gather the sleeves) and some crochet yarn (for the cord at the neckline)
⁃ Time to complete: Ah, don’t ask…I didn’t time but I guess it took about 7 hours at least….
⁃ First worn: April 28th in “Tierpark Berlin”
⁃ Wear again? Yes – although I am not totally happy with the length of the blouse. I should have measured it before I cut the fabric. I am 6 feet tall and this blouse was definitely not designed for tall women. I would have preferred something long, rahter like a tunic. I am not sure what I’ll do about this problem but I think I won’t leave it as it is. I might either make a skirt to go with the blouse (and tuck the blouse in) or I might try to lengthen the blouse (but not sure how to hide the ugly horizontal seam I will create this way. I was thinking about hiding it under a sash but I can’t place the seam at waist height because I would cut into the embroidery then…tricky thing.)
⁃ Total price: I only paid the pattern (which was about 17 US-Dollars…) Ok, I also paid for the fabric (nope, didn’t steal it) but that was years ago and I honestly can’t remember the price. It wasn’t much though.
Oh, and some of you might recognize the pants. I made those for the UFO challenge and they work really well for this blouse. I still have some of this brown fabric left and I am planning to make a vest to go with the blouse and the pants…but as slow as I am with my sewing project I probably won’t complete it until September. If I am lucky there’ll be a vest challenge around that time…;)
And here the final photo to show you that we actually did have a bit of fun while taking the photos: Me trying to do a flamingo stand. I sucked.