Titanic Dress False Starts
In my typical fashion, I’m a week away from The Last Dinner on the Titanic event and I still haven’t made any substantial progress on my dress. Part of my problem stems from the fact that I want to do justice to the hundred year-old dress that I’ll be wearing as the focal piece of the outfit. To bring you up to speed, I bough this dress at the Alameda Point Antique Fair and while it is in amazing condition, it’s just not fancy enough for the dinner. So I had some fairly simple plans to dress the dress up. Over the course of the month, I’ve complicated matters by trying to make two different pieces to go over the dress. One, in a dark brown, “beaded” tulle and the other in a white tulle. Neither of those looked good.
Here’s a look at some of some of my false starts and mis-steps.
The dress alongside with the various fabric I’ve bought. The dress form taunts me. I feel sorry for my poor daughter. We were sitting in the other room, eating dinner, when I pointed to the dress across the room and said “This dress is a hundred years-old. Please don’t touch it. Just stay away from it.” And then I looked again at the dress and it look kind of frightening — this gauzy ghost of a dress just standing there next to Penelope’s desk. If I was a kid, I would have been FREAKED out by the ghost dress in the corner of the room. She’s been great. She stays away from it.
I wanted desperately to find a use for this lace that I received from my mother-in-law. It’s a substantial length so I may still end up cutting a tiny piece and use it in some accent way.
For a sash, I had an idea to bead some of the brown tulle on velvet. The tiny white “pearls” were already attached to the fabric and I just beaded in the same design. All that work and I don’t think I’m going to use it for the sash. The brown is just so heavy against the lightness of the dress.
When I bought some of this tulle for an overlay, I thought the ivory color at the store was too dark. I bought white and it was way too light. So, I tried to tea dye it. It made some difference, but was still too stark. I decided to still go ahead and make the jacket.
I had bough 1/8 of silk dupioni as an accent piece. It was $26/yd at Jo-Ann’s so that 1/8th was just a test. I decided to just free form the beading and actually quite liked how it turned out. So then I decided (today) to go back to Jo-Ann’s and buy two yards of it.
My latest and greatest idea is to make the sash and some sort of overskirt from the silk. There will be some more beading. Hopefully this will stick.