The “Sunny Blouson” Top
Fabric: about 1 5/8 yards Japanese cotton from Purl (when it was Purl Patchwork on Thompson Street, a few years ago); used to be a panel in a curtain I made for our last apartment
Pattern: Woman’s Day Advance 8281, View 1
Notions: 3 buttons from stash, interfacing
Time to complete: about 5 hours
First worn: 4/8 in Los Angeles!
Wear again: yes
Total cost: I’m saying free
I had an elaborate plan with a different city in mind for this challenge. Then I realized how little time I’d have this week since we were flying to Los Angeles for a few days. So, practically, I decided to take my inspiration from that city and make an easy breezy blouson top from this golden sunny fabric. I love this fabric so much, and I’ve been saving it for a while; I really could have used it last week for the VIP challenge. It has an all-over pin dot texture thing going on that I hope you can see here.
I took a risk not making a muslin, but there was no time. It’s a loose-fitting top; I hoped for the best. I even forgot to add 5/8 inch to the side seam allowances under the bust while cutting this thing late at night. Luckily it all worked out. I guess the waist is supposed to fit more loosely, but I’m happy with it. I really like the drawstring and placket details and the the way the top came together fairly quickly and without drama. You can bet I’ll be making this pattern again. The previous owner never cut the pattern but included contemporary clippings of all three views. Here’s the one I made.