The “Playful Blouson” Top
Fabric: about 1 5/8 yards cotton gingham, white muslin for facings
Pattern: Advance 8281, View 3 (but with View 1 length)
Notions: 3 buttons from stash
Time to complete: about 6 hours
First worn: 4/15
Wear again: oh yes
Total cost: about $14?
Once again, I had a more ambitious plan for this challenge involving a photo of me in a dark green sailor dress and this pattern from glamorous, generous Debi Fry. That dress WILL be made. I’m quite pleased with how I adjusted to reality this week and finished a garment I know will get a lot of wear. I was inspired by a recent Olive Juice catalog that features loads of gingham for girls. I love Olive Juice. If I were a rich little kid who could buy my own wardrobe, I would wear everything they make.
Last week I made View 1 of this pattern. The collar and short sleeves of View 3, and the gingham stripe placement to consider, took a bit more time. The short sleeves are super cute, but I would simplify the construction next time by cutting them in one piece and using bias tape instead of a facing. I used white muslin for the facings, forgetting that the left front facing forms the placket. By the time I realized my mistake, I couldn’t turn back, so let’s call that white placket a design element. The buttons, from my grandmother’s collection, are probably from the same era as the pattern. For once, I really made an effort with the stripe-matching. The sleeve front and backs match well. One side seam is a perfect match and the other is perfectly one stripe off. Hmm.