The “Initiation Circle” Skirt
Fabric: handwoven Indian cotton and 3 yards Imperial Batiste for the lining, $12
Pattern: made my own using Casey’s tutorial
Year: now (and then)
Notions: a bit of interfacing, invisible zip
Time to complete: longer than it should have, I blame the hem, machine-rolled (many steps) on two layers
First worn: 4/22
Wear again: sure
Total cost: about $14
I bought this fabric to hang on a very white wall in my first apartment when I moved out of the college dorm with three friends in 1993. I remember thinking it was really expensive at the time, but that was coming off making 2-something an hour as a lifeguard, frozen yogurt server, etc. I’m calling it free here. I’m not in love with it or even sentimentally attached to it anymore, but somehow it has stuck around all these years, serving at times as a throw for the couch or bed, lately a picnic blanket. Anyways, it was my only choice for a full circle skirt; I don’t have any tablecloths or other large pieces.
As the fabric is woven on the loose side and a little thin and worn, a lining was definitely called for. I used a cotton batiste that I would ordinarily disqualify had it not been specifically recommended by Gertie, as there’s a fair bit of polyester in the blend. Yep, I avoid polyester altogether. I don’t find it objectionable in this lining fabric, though, so maybe I should reconsider. I used the patch method to slash an opening in the center back following Casey’s tutorial and an invisible zipper all the way to the top of the waistband. I think the patch method is more suited to a regular zipper and hook and eye, but it worked out fine. The biggest challenge was marking the hem. I’ve asked my husband to help me out with hem marking a grand total of two times. He did it ever so patiently and thoroughly this time (with only slight prodding) and then sweetly suggested that I buy a dress form so he’d never have to do it again. Um, okay. Guess he doesn’t mind the permanent sewing set-up in the living room.
We have made some recent improvements in my sewing area, a work in progress, visible here in the photos. We had to stay inside since it was pouring down rain all day. I blatantly copied this photo of Sarai’s studio at Colette Patterns. I took one look at that hanging rod and hooks and instantly thought “Ikea”. Sure enough we found this piece there and also picked up an Expedit bookshelf for my patterns and various sundry sewing items. The space is looking pretty good, nice and contained, thanks as well to the large luxurious closet where my stash lives.
I’m not sure this skirt is a total success– the waistband seems to have stretched out unflatteringly after wearing it few hours. I should have underlined the waistband with the batiste, but I thought interfacing would be enough. But now I know that I like a circle skirt on me and how to make one. I win.