The “City of Roses” Blouse
Fabric – Polyester/Rayon blend found on the clearance table at Hancock
Pattern: McCall 6510
Notions: bias tape for neckline
Time to complete: about 4 hours
First worn: today to frolic in the backyard
Wear again? Absozoobalutely!
Total price: $10 including pattern
I couldn’t resist this flowing floral print among the bolts and bolts of not-so-pretty prints on the Hancock clearance table. It goes right along with my Spring color palette, which you can find in my blog post – Bright and Bold for Spring. Once I had the fabric, I knew exactly what pattern I needed. McCall’s was on sale for $1.99 and I picked up 5610 with high hopes.
I have to admit that I researched for cities to fit my blouse instead of looking for a project to fit a city.
I came up with Portland, Oregon whose official nickname is “The City of Roses.” The International Rose Test Garden is located in Portland and consists of several gardens with over 7,000 rose plants. New varieties are sent from all over the world to be tested for color, fragrance, disease resistance, etc. according to Wikipedia.
Wikipedia elaborates: “In 1917 a group of Portland nurserymen came up with the idea for an American rose test garden. Portland had an enthusiastic group of volunteers and 20 miles (32 km) of rose bordered streets, largely from the 1905 Lewis & Clark Exposition. Portland was already dubbed “The City of Roses” so this was leveraged to enhance the reputation.”
Apparently, the roses bloom beginning in April (how appropriate!) lasting through October. If I ever plan a trip to Portland, I might want to take that into consideration because it sounds pretty amazing. For now, I’ll just dance in my back yard in my blouse and enjoy the few roses my own scraggly bushes provide.
As far as the pattern itself: The fit is generous, but I’m sure it’s meant to be. I cut the smallest size, and I feel like that was the right fit for me. This is a fabric hog! I did put a seam in the middle of the sleeve pieces and that worked just fine. If I were to do it again, I would probably shorten the “wings” a little so they wouldn’t be quite so ruffled at the shoulders, but that’s just nitpicky.
The neck was supposed to be finished with bias tape, but there was no way that this fabric was going to hold enough of a crease to make bias tape. I didn’t want it to stand out too much, so I bought grey. After applying it, the neckline stuck out, where as before, it was laying flat. Erg! I turned the bias tape to the inside and used a 1/4 inch seam allowance to secure it. Thanks to the Colette Patterns Sorbeto and to Anna Maria Horner’s Socialite Dress pattern for teaching me I had this option. The neckline is laying nicely again and I don’t have to see the bias trim at all. Yay!
I will be wearing this over and over again in the warm months and am looking forward to packing it in my suitcase in a week or so to take on vacation…. not to Portland, but I can still represent. :D