The “Paint Me A Minoru” Jacket
Fabric: Paint Me a …? from FineFabrics.com; gold Bemberg rayon lining
Pattern: Sewaholic Patterns 1103 Minoru Jacket
Notions: Insanely long separating zipper, two buttons, one yard of 2″ elastic, interfacing
Time to complete: It’s hard to tell since I was following Sew-Along baby steps up until last week
First worn: March, 2011
Wear again? Yes! It’s fun and perfect for my everyday bike commute
Total price: $50 (since I took advantage of a year end fabric sale)
For the Sew Weekly Art Themed week I wanted to make another garment from “painted” fabric. I seem to fall hard for fabrics that look painted. My favorite dress is my Paint Me a Maxi Dress from 2011, and I foresee this Minoru becoming my favorite jacket.
This jacket is heavy enough to keep me warm during chilly California evenings but light enough to be unencumbering during my daily bike commute to work. It has a hood to keep the Bay Area drizzle off my face and side-seam pockets to stash public transit tickets or other little items. The pattern didn’t come with instructions for adding these exterior pockets, so I posted what I did to my own blog if you’re also making this pattern and interested in this feature.
Up until last week, I’d been sewing along with the Sewaholic Minoru Sew-Along, but I knew I wanted to finish it for this challenge, so I sped along last week by myself, putting in the last stitches during the final hours of February. I found it easy enough to manage by myself. I do have to say that I still haven’t figured out how to properly stitch-in-the-ditch. Everything gets all wonky on me every time I try no matter how many pins I use. I always end up hand stitching instead, and this jacket was no exception. The jacket is fully lined and has fun little internal pockets to keep valuables safe. I closed mine with little white buttons – nothing fancy since they’re inside and no one will ever really see them.
Stripe alignment is still a skill I’m working on, but I’m pleased with how well the stripes of painted lines matched along the side seams, front placket, and collar. Thankfully the whimsical nature of these stripes meant that I could be a little bit off without seeming so. The waist has a hidden band of elastic, and I love how it gathers the painted stripes. I also love how the stripes become horizontal on the hood. If I were to remake the jacket, I would consider making the stripes on the front placket, cuffs, and collar horizontal as well. I like how everything blends together so nicely in my current jacket, and I wouldn’t want it to be overwhelmingly busy, so I might not ultimately go with the different stripe directions, but it would be fun to consider.
I wore the jacket for the first time to dinner last night with friends, and it was fun showing it off. We all biked to a new local pizza place and sat outside for the meal. The jacket performed perfectly and got a lot of attention. All in all I’m very happy with it, and I’m thankful that the Sew Weekly gave me another excuse to make something painted. Thanks Mena!