‘The Mad, Bad, & Dangerously Green’ Shorts
Fabric: Echino by Kokka ‘Bon Bon’ cotton linen blend.
Pattern: 1970s McCall’s 4687 pants with LOTS of alterations. Basically I altered everything.
Year: 2012 does 1950 with a 1970s pattern.
Notions: Invisible zip, 3 hooks and eyes, white cotton cording, yellow bias binding.
Time to complete: 3 hours (+ the half an hour to go to my local sewing shop to get a zipper which didn’t actually match after all)
First worn: For this photo shoot, and lots of prancing around the house saying “OMG, I love it!”
Wear again? Yes! I love these shorts! I’m taking them with me to OZ in April and home to Hawaii in June.
Total price: Erm. Somewhere around NZ$45 (US$35ish). I bought this fabric as a holiday splurge in Australia, and spend more on it than I have spent on any other fabric, ever. And since my stash is 80% silk, that says a lot.
The Mad: Have you seen the print? I can’t believe I have grass green and mustard and vermillion and aqua and mint and white shorts covered with bright spots and birds. I’m usually pretty restrained in my fabric and clothes. And, despite all this, I like them. Actually, I love them! (Have I mentioned that before?)
The Bad: OK, so the fabric was ridiculously expensive. Very, very naughty of me.
The other bad is that my camera croaked taking photos of the construction (just before I was about to go do a photoshoot on the perfect late summer day!), so I had to run around, research a new camera, fork out for a new camera, and then the weather crapped in, and I had to wait a day and a half for more good weather! And the weather wasn’t that good after all – despite the sun, there was a cold wind blowing, and Mr D was wearing a wool coat and jeans and complaining about how cold he was, while shooting me, in this:
And the Dangerously Green should be self explanatory ;-)
I saw this fabric, along with the fabric I used in my “Love at First Flight” Dress while in Australia, and I had to have it. But what on earth could I make with bright grass green birdie and spottie fabric? How about the least likely thing possible: shorts?
I don’t have any short shorts that I like. I haven’t worn short shorts since I left Hawaii for university. Time to remedy that!
I looked around for inspiration, and found a bunch of images of early 1950s shorts. I liked the clean styling, the high waistbands that flattered the waist and showed off the hips, and the clever little details, like waistbands with split fronts and cord ties. So cute!
That’s what I wanted. So I rummaged around in my patterns, found McCall’s 4687, a 1970s pattern with a basic pants patterns, altered it for shorts, altered the waistband for the split front, and there I was!
You’d hardly know that I started with this pattern:
And ended up with these:
The shorts went together really quickly, even though I altered every single seam.
I finished the inside with a combination of French seams, fold and sew seams, & yellow bias binding.
The inside of these shorts makes me soooo happy!
So does the outside!
Sewing win all around! Green is definitely a lucky colour!