The “Luck of the Concrete Jungle” Dress
Ok. Full disclosure, I wanted to use this fabric last week. The vibrant green color was a great match for Frida’s work, but I could NOT think of a single thing to do with this large scale, LOUD pattern. I didn’t want to make anything with tons of pieces…. I consulted the Oracle (my hubby) about making a pencil skirt? A circle skirt??? I thought a dress made from this would surely be overkill, but he said “Make a dress. A baby doll dress.” The man knows what he likes. I looked at my patterns. Nothing seemed to work. So I went with my other options last week and was glad that I did.
This is the only green fabric I own, so I was determined to make it do what it do for St. Patty week! Back to the Oracle I went. This time, with two pattern for him to choose from. This one or that one. He choose that one and it was perfect for the fabric and stupid easy! Great job, Hubby!
Fabric | Printed Stretch Cotton Sateen & Blue Cotton Shirting (same as the tunic from last week)
Patterns | Vintage Butterick 3530 (from the Sew Weekly Meet-up!!)
Year | 1960’s
Notions | Thread and two buttons
Time to complete | A couple of hours, if that!
First worn | While my hubby snapped flicks ;P
Wear again? Yes! I love it so much more than I expected!
Total price | About $6 or so. The fabric was $3.98 a yard, I used about one yard or so. The buttons were dirt cheap. The thread, too.
This was sooooo easy! The pattern is for a 31 inch bust, but vintage patterns tend to have a lot of wearing ease, so I was thought I could make it work. I wanted it to fit like it’s shown on the envelope, but I’ve been burned by A line dresses and patterns in the past. They tend to want to rest on top of my booty and not glide over it as they’re meant to. Or worse, they’re too loose around the bosom area. I added about a half inch to the front and back of these pattern pieces and like Little Bear’s bed to Goldilocks, It was just right.
Two sets of darts at the front for the lining and self fabrics, attach the back and front of each, sew the two together at the shoulder/underarm seams and then turn the whole thing right side out like a giant dress pillow or something. You hem them both, buttonhole it, slap on buttons and DONE. So stinkin’ easy! And, to my extreme delight, I found that I like the pattern AND the fit, too! Score!