The “Lorenzo Lamas” Leather Pants
Pattern: Butterick B5682 style A
Upcycled item: Men’s XL leather duster $20
Notions: 2 spools heavy duty thread $6
My husband came up with the name for these pants. Apparently there was a television show named Renegade starring Lorenzo Lamas where he often wore a leather duster and rode a motorcycle. I’d never heard of it but I did find a picture so you can see what I’m talking about.
Right next to it is the leather duster I used for this week’s challenge. I found it at a thrift store that opens at 6am on Monday mornings and everything is half price. I had quite a few things in my cart and was about to pick one for my project when I spotted this hanging amid the ladies dresses. I immediately put everything aside and grabbed it. I didn’t know what I was going to make out if it but I knew that if I didn’t buy it I would always regret it.
First let me say how much I love these pants. I wasn’t sure this project was going to be successful because the leather is so heavy and thick. I didn’t know if my machine could handle sewing over 3 to 4 layers of it. I also imagined myself sweating up a storm the minute I sat indoors for more than 5 minutes if I could sit or bend in them at all.
The sleeves of the coat make up the pant legs from the bottom to the curved seams. There were tabs with snaps on the cuffs that I kept at the bottom. The duster had long straps with snaps at each end-these I used for the belt loops. I kept the snaps on as a design element. This is the same pattern I used for the silver coated denim pants only I lowered the waistline by a couple of inches.
The pockets on the duster were pretty big but I decided not to make them smaller. I love the look it gives the pant and the way they sit on my body.
My machine did not do well over more than 3 layers so some of the seams where the 2 legs are attached are slightly off. It’s not really noticeable especially to those who don’t sew. The tricky part was the waistband. I cut it into 3 parts so that I could use a smaller scrap because I wanted to save the bigger pieces for a skirt. I used a piece of bias binding from the coat as trim along the bottom of the waistband then sewed the waistband onto the front of the pant to avoid some of the layering. I also used regular fabric for the back of the waistband and for the pieces used in the zipper area for the same reason.
I decided to take them for a test run and wore them to a meeting. Luckily they did not fall apart and I was able to sit quite comfortably in them. I know it could have ended in disaster but I just had to wear them right away! I attached a picture of how I wore them to church. The top and necklace in the pictures above I made as well but not for this challenge.