The “I really like this shade of green” Shirt
Fabric: Green Cotton Sateen
Pattern: Simplicity 1872 View A (without the sleeves and tie)
Notions: Just thread
Time to Complete: 3.5 hours
First Worn: March 2012
Wear Again: Yes!!!
Total Price: $30.00 (4 yds/$6.99 a yd & $1.99 for the pattern)
I was so glad to see the change in challenges to include a green themed challenge. I don’t wear a lot of green, but I do celebrate St. Patty’s Day. An excuse to get together, eat corned beef and cabbage, and imbibe tasty libations? Count me in! My in-laws host a get together every year. It’s grown in size and fun every year. My father-in-law’s delicious St. Patty’s themed cheesecakes have helped to increase the size of the gathering too. They’re delicious!
Back to the shirt! I had no idea what to do for this challenge. I did have the thought to make a shirt. Then for some reason I became obsessed with the idea of a peplum. Seriously, I needed a shirt with a peplum and nothing else would do. My first thought was to use a bodice from a dress and add my own peplum, but then when I was perusing Simplicity’s site I saw 1872 and that was it. I had to have it! However, I am very frugal when it comes to patterns. Thank goodness Joann’s was having a sale, $1.99 for Simplicity. Eureeka! Off to Joann’s I went. While I was there I found this lovely green sateen. I have a serious love for sateen. It’s a dream to work with. Like butter!
I made a muslin and discovered it fit right outta the gate. Did I mention that immediately qualifies a pattern to be a favorite of mine? This peplumed shirt is easy-peasy to put together. There are 4 main pieces plus facings. Although the sleeves are completely cute, I wanted to be able to wear a sweater or jacket with this, so I omitted them. I also stitched the front V section together. I didn’t want to have a wardrobe malfunction.The neck and armhole facings are applied in a slick way by folding the facings and then applying them. It makes for a neat finished edge that doesn’t roll out. I love it when patterns include little tips like this. I’ve found that Cynthia Rowley’s patterns all have some little tidbit of time saving information. The next time I make this pattern I think I’ll add a zipper or some elastic and make the waist more fitted. However, I’m satisfied with it as is too.
The way I’m wearing it in the pictures is probably how I’ll wear it in my day to day life. The cape in the first picture is McCall’s 5764. I made it last February. It’s made out of a soft brown corduroy. It’s the first version of that pattern that I made. It’s also my first dance with buttonholes.
I also thought I’d share my newly made pattern weights. I’ve always been a notorious pinner, but was unhappy with the holes and/or distortions this method left in some fabrics. I’d priced the weights that most sewing stores have and decided that was a silly price to pay for something I could make myself. I’d seen homemade pattern weights on the web. My lovely step father-in-law kindly acquired some industrial sized washers and bolts for me. Over the past week or so I’ve been wrapping them in ribbon while watching TV or movies. By the way, this is a great way to keep snacks out of your mouth late at night.
I used them for the first time on this project. I am in love with them. They are the best and if you don’t have any I highly recommend you make some this instant.