The “Green Top, ‘Green’ Skirt” Combo
Fabric: Green/orange patterned lycra from stash, Orange polyester crepe pillow case from Goodwill thrift store $1.99
Pattern: Top – Butterick 5497. Skirt – Simplicity 2154.
Notions: 1/4″ elastic, velcro dots both from stash.
Time to complete: 10 hours
First worn: 12th March 2012
Wear again? Top yes without a doubt. Skirt was a wearable muslin so will be taken apart to be used as a pattern for future projects.
Total price: $1.99
This week’s theme: “Going Green – This week, in honor of St. Patrick’s Day, we’re all going green”.
As a 3/4 English, 1/4 Scot, I don’t really do St. Patrick’s Day like the Americans (and the Irish obviously) do but I’m always up for a challenge like making something green.
And as you can see this week I whipped up a green top and a green skirt. Nope, I haven’t gone colour-blind. That orange skirt is green…..well, an upcycled pillow case from a thrift store (charity shop), so it’s ‘green’ too.
I used this challenge to learn and practice some more skills – this is the first pencil, or even straightish skirt I’ve ever made, and definitely my first back vent (is that even what it’s called?) and although I’ve worked with stretch materials before (twice) I still haven’t mastered sewing straight lines as I would like to yet with them. And I’m possibly going to use this shape skirt on the next Sew Weekly challenge – a Mad Men themed one.
I don’t know what it is with the Simplicity 2154 pattern – but it makes up HUGE. I should have sussed this from making the sleeveless blouse from it for the UFO challenge a few weeks back….but I didn’t. I made up the skirt, then had to take it in gradually 4 times….and as you can see it’s still not as form fitting as one would like. But that’s ok, I learned lots from making it as always with these Sew Weekly challenges. And it took me absolutely ages to get my head around that back vent….my mind just went blank reading the instructions, I couldn’t work it out. But I have it now and will be able to adapt this knowledge to other projects.
The hair flower I made a while back when I made a badly-fitting beginner’s dress out of the top’s fabric. I used a fake flower from Michael’s craft store, hot glued to some wired green sparkly ribbon to it, folded into a desired shape and then hot glued all this to a hair clip.
The top was much easier to suss and make. Though I think I’m going to have to put a stitch in the v-front as if I lean forward it’s a little too revealing. We wouldn’t want to scare the horses….
Happy St. Patrick’s Day to all who celebrate it (you might possibly see me do something in red and white for St. George’s Day and/or blue and white for St. Andrew’s Day, if the challenges allow but we’ll see).