The Couch of the Irish Dress
Fabric: Leftover upholstery fabric from Mom’s couch project, pea green bed sheet for lining
Pattern: New Look 6000
Notions: green thread, grey zipper
Time to complete: 10 hours
First worn: March 11, 2012
Wear again? Yes!
Total price: $0
Friends, Mama Grand has recently been working very hard on getting rid of any extra fabric lying around her house. This means, of course, that it’s all coming to my house. Included in the most recent box of goodies was this piece of upholstery material; I remembered it fondly as she had recovered a couch with it not too long ago and I had always loved the stripes. I had exactly enough to cut the front and back of the dress; the sleeves were a little sketchy as they had to be pieced together with leftover pieces of material. I so desperately wanted to add one of the fabulous collar variations of this pattern, but there just wasn’t the material. .
This fabric is HEAVY. It began unraveling almost immediately, so all the seams are straight stitched and zig-zagged. I exercised every patient bone in my body with this dress, even taking the time to add a lining! I realized I didn’t want upholstery material rubbing against my skin all day and the lining would eliminated the need for facings. Double win.
The hardest part of this dress was, without a doubt, trying to put in the darts.
The fabric is not exactly pliable and easy to work with – it is resistant to change. I went reallyslow putting in the underbust darts, and eventually came out the winner. I realize that using upholstery fabric and taking every effort to reduce unraveling means this dress will probably last forever. People can sit on me and not wrinkle or ruin me. This is exciting as Human Resources can sometimes be like a high contact sport…or perhaps this is only in my daydreams.
The stripes are both satiny and grosgrain-like in texture. I LOVE the sheen of the satin stripes – I feel that it just adds a little bit of sparkle to the dress. For some actual sparkle, I added a shamrock brooch that my boyfriend’s parents gave me.
Overall, I am shocked by how this dress came out. After working with this material for about an hour, I was convinced that this dress would be boxy and unflattering. I decided to stick with it in case I was pleasantly surprised, and I was completely blown away by how well it came together in the end. Ah sewing, you will never cease to amaze me!
If I could change one thing, I would want the sleeves to be one complete piece instead of being comprised of pieces. I made sure to match up the stripes so it doesn’t draw too much attention, but I will still always know it’s there. Other than that, I think it makes for a perfectly indestructible dress that could easily recover a chair if I get too bored with it ;)
Thanks for stopping by, friends!