Homage to Mondrian
Fabric: 1/2 metre each of white and teal jersey
1/2 metre some black stretchy stuff
Pattern: Burda 8998 T-Shirt
Notions: Thread from stash
Time to Complete: 5 hours
First Worn: In these pictures
Wear Again: Yes, at work this week
Total Price: £15 for fabric
…. with a touch of Van Gogh. I had hoped to have a photograph taken with miles of fields behind me, but there was no way I was going to venture far given the weather we are having this week …. so in comes my arty umbrella!
I already did a landscape theme last year with my Fenland Skirt. Mondrian is the perfect artist for me to be inspired by, considering I live surrounded by miles of patchworked fields, stretching out into the distance. He contributed to the Duch De Stijl movement in the early 20th century and he called his form of painting with a white ground and a grid of lines, using only 3 primary colours ‘Neo-Plasticism’. You can read more about him on Wikipedia where I found this brief information. Most of his early work concentrated on more or less realistic landscapes. East Anglia, where I live, was shaped by the Dutch, whose engineers drained the Fens to give its distinctive, featureless, flat landscape of rich farmland. Mondrian broke from representational painting in 1913 and began his journey towards abstraction. he was searching for the foundation of things … He has already been ‘done’ in fashion – see here.
I’ve also visited him before with knitting….
He could be said to be ‘in’ at the moment, given the trend for colour blocking at the moment.
I’ve used jersey and some kind of black stretchy stuff for this drapey top. I’m not familiar with this sort of fabric, so making it has extended my skills somewhat. I don’t have a serger, so I’ve utilised the overlock facility on my machine to secure the inside edges, as well as a ballpoint needle to avoid making holes in my fabric. Mondrian’s works were constructed with awareness rather than calculation, using his intuition. I used my intuition to guess where to begin the white and blue panels – it was not as easy as I thought – I had to sew in the dart in the black front section first, to see where to cut the straight line across the bodice. This top looks deceptively simple but is not! A bit like Mondrian’s paintings! I’ve tried to streamline things a bit – I cut the top section and sleeves from double fabric to give a bit more body. By doing this, I also avoided hemming on the sleeves – there’s a fold instead. I also attached the neckband first by machine and then the foldover by hand. The double fabric meant I could attach it without stitches showing on the front.
I’ve used the idea of ‘Mondrian’ rather than a literal representation, as I wasn’t keen on the idea of trying to ‘patchwork’ drapey jersey type stuff any further. I reckon I should be able to get a lot of mileage out of this top… It’s very comfy to wear and I’ll make some more for the summer.