Double Collar Cockatoo Blouse
Pattern:Butterick 7592, Blouse from view A
Year: c. 1950’s
Notions: Eight 5/8″ buttons
Time to Complete: Too long to admit
First Worn: March 2012
Wear Again: Yup, this is a great stand alone blouse, as well layering under cardigans.
Total Price: Everything was from my stash, I’m guessing around $10-$12.
Ohhh Pantone… Why are your names so perplexing!? This is just as an aside, I went and did a Google search for Cockatoo and all that came up was pretty pink & white and yellow & white birds; not a single aqua bird in the bunch. So I’m not certain how Pantone arrived at the name for this color, but aqua is my absolute favorite color, I mean cockatoo…
I had started a muslin for the Butterick 7592 blouse last spring for Colette’s first Palette Challenge and I could never get the fit quite right. As a result, I’ve had the muslin buried underneath a pile of “maturing” projects since March 2011. *Shudder* In keeping with a Spring theme, I decided to clean out my old projects pile and decided to rework the muslin. Additionally, I am working hard to shop from my own stash this year and I found this drapey
aqua cockatoo colored fabric, in some type of cotton blend.
The original pattern included a mini, peter pan styled collar which is the upper collar in aqua. I thought it needed a bit more dimension so I drafted the bottom white collar exactly 1″ larger using some scraps I had left over from my button-challenge blouse.
One trick I used on this blouse to keep it nice and light: I used a white silk organza as the under-collar on both the aqua collar and the white collar instead of using the original fabric. The collar stays nice and crisp as if I used an interfacing all while while using an under-collar of organza to finish the seams nicely along with reducing down the bulk in the seam allowance. I highly recommend it for any of your spring-time blouses in silk or light cotton.
I purposely paired my blouse with some navy pants to try and pull in a second Pantone color (Sodalite Blue), but they just ended up looking black in my photos. *booo*. I’m really happy I dug out this old muslin and took some time to rework it. The pattern is quite simple, but can yield so many different neckline alterations and fabric possibilities. I think I may just make a few more for the summertime. :) Happy Spring to everyone reading; I can’t wait to see what color/s you guys all picked for this challenge.