The “Take Me To Your Leader” Outfit
I’m going to be honest with you-there is only one UFO in my stash and I’m still not ready to pull it out. So I decided to let myself be inspired by the other meaning of UFO and set my sights beyond this world to a galaxy far, far away. After looking through some images online I picked two features to highlight in my projects. One is silver. I noticed a lot of it-especially in the older TV shows like the British TV series UFO and Mork and Mindy. The second is the strong shoulder or shoulder detail-usually created by their uniform.
Like many of you it’s important to me that the clothes I make are things I would actually wear. So it took me a while to decide what to make. I finally settled on a pair of denim ankle pants and a T. So here are the facts:
Fabric: 2 1/4 yds. silver coated french denim $5.99/yd. and 1 5/8 yds. white stretch jersey $3.99/yd.
Notions: 7in. zipper $1.90, 3 buttons $3.00, and silver thread $2.70
Final Price: about $30
Wear Again?: Yes-I wore the pants to church this morning and I plan to wear the outfit with my vintage Gucci blazer to The Working Wardrobe book launch party at the end of the month.
I love the this outfit! I did have some trouble with the zipper in the pants. I like to use these big chunky plastic zippers which are usually not a problem. With this pattern it was problem (more on that in a bit). After completing construction on the front and back of the pants I stitched them together using long stitches so that I could get the fit right. I wanted them to fit like a glove and since the denim had a stretch to it I knew I could bring them in nice and snug without worrying about being able to bend. After taking them in along the legs and upper back inseam I resewed them and over locked all the seams. Next time I use this pattern I’ll add an inch or two to the length since the length was right where I wanted it to be before I hemmed them. I decided to finish the raw edges and bring them up only 1/4 of an inch. After adding the buttonhole and button I was excited to try them on. Once they were on I saw that the zipper head was too big and popped out the side. I tried sewing a hook and eye to help keep it closed but it looked terrible so I took the zipper out and made it a buttonfly. I think it looks pretty good.
I made some changes to the top. I decided to make pleats along the shoulder instead of gathering the fabric. I also decided to omit the elastic all together. There is a strip along the top of the sleeve running down the middle and then 2 strips on the bottom of the sleeves. I liked the extra long sleeve the way it was. I brought the sides in a bit and made the sleeves narrower too.
I’d like to try a version of these pants with a lower waist. Maybe in a future challenge.
For the pictures I am wearing my bob wig and, though you can’t really see it, I drew in eyebrows like Spock. I’m standing in front of the Observatory at Northwestern University. They’re only open to the public on Friday nights and I didn’t finish until Saturday so we went for the next best thing.
Wish I could take you all to the party with me!