The Sweetie Skirt
Fabric: Vintage cotton from inherited stash, new cotton voile for lining
Pattern: Simplicity 5525
Notions: Thrifted zip, button from stash
Time to complete: 4 hours
First worn: Valentines day 2012 – for about 20min (explained at the end of post)
Wear again? yes
Total Cost: ~$8
How cute is this fabric! and free to boot. Only downer is paying for the new cotton voile I needed to line it. (actually the lining was already in my stash… I bought a bit extra last time I needed it.)
There isn’t much to say about this skirt. It’s pretty straight forward. It has a curved yoke band (no darts) with the skirt portion gathered on. I used navy cotton voile to line it and so instead of interfacing for the waistband I used a piece of lining fabric. I wanted to make sure that the waistband didn’t look a different shade to the rest of the skirt. I think it would have if it was lined with white interfacing.
I did discover a neat new trick for getting the waist the perfect size though. I allowed myself too much room in the wiat and before I attached the waistband I tried it on and found it was 4cm too big. I seem to do this almost every single time I make a skirt. rrrrgh. I ran a gathering stich around the wiast thinking ‘oh well, so it’ll be gathered at the waist. no biggie’ and discovered that I was able to just ease the 4cm out without any noticeable gathering. SWEET! I’m going to do this everytime I attach a waistband now to get a perfect fit.
And just because I feel like sharing… I walked to the coffee shop up the road with my husband and daughter straight after these photos for a little valentines day breakfast. 10min later I was sporting projectile vomit from miss two! Yay for public humiliation. Happy Valentines Day everyone!