The “Strawberry Soda” Dress
Fabric: For the lining, bubblegum-pink broadcloth ($3); The main fabric is also a plain weave, crisp and a little bit lighter than the broadcloth, so I’m going to guess lawn? I have a hard time with fabric identification and would love some insight if you have any. (The main fabric was also $3, thrifted).
Pattern: Truffle Dress from The Colette Sewing Handbook
Notions: Zipper, hook & eye
Time to complete: 9 hours
First worn: To a Valentine’s Day party (under a black blazer and over black tights).
Wear again? I hope so. But I feel like the whole thing needs to be taken apart and put back together again first.
Total cost: About $6, not counting the cost of the book.
I started working on this dress this past Saturday night, and it was such a pleasure. Even the print – which I had been lukewarm about at first (It looks kind of fizzy, I think, like a soda) – started to grow on me after a couple of hours. The pattern is really so thoughtfully designed. It came together smoothly, and even though many of the techniques were at least somewhat familiar to me, I felt like I was learning a lot, which was fantastic.
I finished on Sunday morning. Zipped it up. And realized I had managed to mess up – of all things – the side seams in some late-night mis-measuring.
It can be discouraging any time you try on a dress and find that it’s too tight.
But when a dress measured and made expressly for you fits like, oh, a sausage casing, the blow seems much crueler.
(It was hemmed. All the seams were finished.)
So I set it aside until Monday night when I took it apart and put it back together.
It looks all right from 5 or so feet away, but, the fact is, this dress is kind of a disaster. A little rushed the second time around, the zipper looks like I installed it blindfolded. During an earthquake. And in re-doing the side seams, I think I over-corrected a bit, especially in the bodice. But, it has potential. And more importantly, I I know what’s wrong and how to fix it, and that feels like progress.