The “Roses are Blue” Dress
Fabric: 2.5 yards Liberty Tana Lawn – $20/yard; 2.5 yards cotton poplin (lining & buttons) – $1.50/yard
Pattern: Simplicity 2215, $0 (fourth use)
Notions: Fusible interfacing – in stash, six covered buttons – $3
Time to complete: 10ish hours
First worn: Unworn, as it is suddenly very chilly here!
Wear again? Definitely.
Total cost: ~$56 – Thank you, Liberty.
Confession time, ladies. I don’t have a lot of UFOs on my sewing table. When I start a project, I tend to become an obsessive whirlwind of sewing. Normally that’s great, but I didn’t have a lot of options for this week’s post. What I did have was a version of Simplicity 2215, one of my favorite patterns, which had been languishing on my table, half-sewn, since early January. Not exactly a long unfinished object, but as much of a UFO as I had. What stopped my whirling dervish of sewing, you ask? Indecisiveness. Originally, I had planned to add a Peter Pan collar of blue poplin, the same fabric used for the buttons. Once I’d sewn most of it together, however, I couldn’t decide if the collar would make it overly sweet. As I had more things to make, I let it sit while I considered.
And considered…and considered…
Then, this week’s challenge swooped in like a dress-saving superheroine. This dress should not go unloved, it insisted! I agreed. After all, this was Liberty. That stuff doesn’t exactly grow on trees! Especially Texas trees! Add to that the fact that this print, Carline, is my favorite of Liberty’s. This length I’d held close for well over a year, debating what best to make with it. After all that, I didn’t want to make the wrong decision about the collar and negate the wonderful fabric. So, I did what any girl would do: tried it both ways.
Obviously, dress-sans-collar won out. Over two hours (I may be a whirlwind, but I am a slow one) of collar drafting and ironing proved it was, indeed, way too twee. The collar urged me to run through the hills, impersonating Julie Andrews. It just wouldn’t do. So some buttons, hemming, and collar-unbasting later, this dress was finally finished! Hooray!
Even more, I love it. I could wear this dress everyday. Well, once it warms up a bit, anyway.
Shall will talk nitty-gritty details a bit more? The buttons, which one must squint to see in pictures, are covered in the same sapphire blue poplin I used as the lining and the ill-fated collar. Though the pattern calls for four buttons, I used six, because I needed more, shall we say, containment. They work delightfully well. I also added self-drafted cap sleeves, just to differentiate this dress from the other versions I’ve made. I’m normally not a sleeve girl, but these are wonderfully comfortable. They may even be added to a few more dresses in the near future…
So, that’s it! One of my only UFOs, all sewn up and finished. This challenge arrived just in time, as this probably would have waited, unloved, until March. Instead, I now have another spring dress I can’t wait to wear!