The ‘oops I’ve made a maternity frock’ dress
Fabric: Black poly/rayon/spandex suiting for outer bodice, scrap cotton voille for bodice lining, thrifted printed poly for skirt and thrifted beige poly for skirt lining
Pattern: Butterick 5486
Notions: New invisible zipper
Time to complete: 10 hours
First worn: Just for these photos
Wear again? Yes… with a belt now… and maybe sometime in the future as an actual maternity dress. lol
Total price: $8.10
This UFO is rather recent. In fact, it was never really abandoned… I’ve just taken forever to finish it. Where my time is going at the moment.. I have no idea! If anyone finds it lazing around somewhere, please kick it in the behind and send it home to me.
I have only a handful of new patterns amid a mountain of vintage ones, so I was surprised to find that I had one of the suggested MTL patterns. I’m also surprised that my only two posts of the year thus far, are using modern patterns.
Pattern in hand, I went shopping in the stash (I really really need to destash this year) to find a match for the ’night and day’ dress. I found the only widely spaced floral on a pale ground was a swooshy polyester (so I ditched the bottom ruffle.. I thought it would be wierd). And.. as luck would have it, I had a piece of equally drapey polyester in beige with was a perfect lining match. The only black I had was a shiny stretch suiting. I even had a scrap of black shapewell to interface the straps, and some teeny scraps of cotton to line the bodice. (In this climate,anything but cotton that close to my skin is.. well.. kinda gross.)
I made a toile of the bodice and discovered that Butterick has included way way too much ease. I started with the size that matched my bust measurement and had to take out 8cm! (and could have taken out a few more) That’s 2 sizes worth… and in my mind, ridiculous. I’ve never come accross this much ease in older patterns.
I liked the overall shape of the bodice, but I found that the waistline looked really high.. way higher than the illustration on the front of the pattern. But not wanting to make another toile, I decided to run with it. You know.. try new things and all. Big Oops. Not so flattering on me and I wish I’d added 5cm to the length of the bodice. Luckily I have some wide belts in the wardrobe. I’m trying to look on the bright side though, so.. with such a high waist and still too much ease in the bodice, next time I go down the maternity road I’ll be ready with a pretty dress.